This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Although temperatures outside are dropping, the winter fashion forecast is looking hot. Each season brings new trends and develops on old ones. This winter it’s all about the neutrals and statement pieces. Here’s how to swiftly transition from your summer wardrobe to a stylish collection of clothes that will keep you alive as the dead of winter approaches. 

sweaters on clothing rack, sheaf of wheat next to it
Photo by Alyssa Strohmann from Unsplash

Do Me a Solid:  

A simple trend that is going to be quite prominent this winter is an influx of neutral pieces. Although this tends to be common throughout most of the year, there has been a recent trend in the incorporation of tans, beiges, and cream colors into outfits. Luckily, these pieces are easy to pair and can be played up or down. 

Upping the ante on neutral pieces is being done through the incorporation of monochrome sets. These have been an aspect of street style and different loungewear for a while but used to be more commonly worn in brighter colors. Monochrome sets in neutral colors are not only going to be popular during the winter, but are going to be quite comfortable as well. 

woman wearing puffer jacket and hat fashion in Bristol
Photo by EIELEI on Unsplash

Cover Up: 

During the fall months there was a return of the flannel trend, and there’s a good chance it’s here to stay for a while. Pairing an oversized flannel with a pair of ripped jeans is a simple way to stay warm and fashionable this season. Another positive aspect of this piece is the fact that you can easily thrift stylish flannels, reducing the impact of fast fashion. 

Flannels aren’t quite for you? Not to worry! Oversized puffer jackets, peacoats, jean jackets, and teddy coats and are all ways to avoid the winter winds. The key to covering up this season is the size of the coat. Oversized coats have been the go to option for many people and are super easy to pair with pieces from a summer wardrobe such as crop tops and tanks. 

white purse with person eating dessert in the background
Photo by Nappy.co
Hold On: 

Another one of the trends taking over this winter is the incorporation of purses into each outfit. Most notably is the smaller shoulder bag, and although it might not hold as much, it’s easy to grab and go and pair with casual or fancy outfits. Winter is all about convenience and having a shoulder bag to hold your belongings is not only practical but fashionable. 

Inspiration is all around you. Take the opportunity of a new season to work to create some new looks and explore your inner fashionista. 

Hello! My name is Chloe Renzelmann and I am a freshman at UW-Lax. I will be majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Communications. When I'm not in class or writing, you can probably find me watching reality tv or working out!