This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Did I think I would ever be a victim of sexual assault and harassment? To put it simply, no.  Boys snapping my bra straps in junior high was blown off as “flirting,” slapping butts in the hallway known as “playful,” being nice to someone but not liking them was considered “teasing,” and the rule about wearing a shirt over my swimsuit in gym class was to “not distract the boys.”  These were things that I always thought were normal. From age 12-18, I attended an institution where these behaviors were condoned without second thoughts.  Harassment can happen at any time, any place with no alert or premonition.  As a Miss America titleholder, I once had a man grab me inappropriately while I had a crown on my head, in a crowd full of people.  There is no limit to the existence of rape culture.  I wish I had known sooner.

Almost 300,000 cases of sexual assault occur every year.  While it’s a relatively alarming number, how would you feel if I told you those were only the reported cases?  Yes–more than half go unreported.  Sexual assault usually falls under the radar between blurred lines, but has recently made headlines once again due to celebrity scope and popularity.  The hot “#MeToo” trend has been booming, due to Harvey Weinstein’s sexual assault allegations.  These accusations have opened the door for women to come forward about their harassment and assault stories, while giving them a platform to discuss it safely and openly.  Numerous celebrities and activists have shared their support on Twitter, using the hashtag to stand up for women who have been assaulted in the music or film industry.  However, it is important to look at this on a larger scale–these assaults happen everywhere, not just Hollywood.  Unfortunately, they aren’t heavily publicized.  Most perpetrators never even see jail time–less than 5% actually.  

It’s important to realize that sexual assault and harassment can happen to anyone, and doesn’t just mean rape.  Rape culture is planted at a young age, usually with school and the media being a breeding ground.  Dress codes are usually based around women, with little to no regulations on men–and if so, are rarely enforced.  This tells young men that they should be looking at women as sexual objects, and leaving women with low self-worth.  Jokes, comments, and the TV shows that we’re addicted to also slide in traditional gender roles that leave subconscious messages to trickle into our thoughts.  Media literacy is KEY in 2017.

I encourage you to share your story and be a leader in your community and school by standing up and recognizing that sexual assault and harassment is real–and has happened to you more often than you think.  

.