Meet UW-L Sophomore and LC Hip Hop Dancer: Leah Illies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Hometown: Minnetonka, MN 

Year in school: Sophomore 

Major/ Minor: Elementary Education (MC-EA) and Spanish Education double major 

Dream Job: After becoming a super cool teacher I would love to be some sort of educational ambassador for countries in South America. (I’m not sure if this even exists but a girl can dream) 

What are you involved in on campus? 

Currently I am on the LC Hip Hip Hop team and am a part of the Cru leadership team. I wish I was involved in more but both of these organizations take up a lot of time on top of the job I have at the Boys and Girls Club. 

What made you want to join the Hip Hop team? 

Well I have been dancing since I was in second grade so definitely wanted to continue dancing somehow because I love it so much. But I also really like being a part of a team and being connected to a group of girls. 

What do you love most about being apart of the Hip Hop Team? 

Definitely the people. I love to dance but my favorite part of practice is just goofing around with everyone on the team. I have gotten to know some super awesome girls who I have grown very close to over the past almost 2 years. 

Where can we find the Hip Hop team perform? 

We typically perform at like 5-6 basketball games a year, we actually performed at the Wisconsin State High School Dance Competition this year, we will perform for various campus events like in the past we were at relay for life and the talent show sponsored by ASO. But most importantly we put together an end of the year showcase that basically shows every dance we have worked on over the year. This performance is super cool because we get to do other styles of dance besides just hip hop. 

Tell us what you do at CRU. 

I am a part of the student leadership team. On this team there are several different areas that people can lead on. For example, we have bible study leaders, community event organizers, the people who run our weekly group meetings, men’s and women’s group leaders, and a bunch more. I specifically help lead a women’s community group where we get together once a week to do fun activities that can vary from kickball to painting our toe nails. 

What are your favorite songs right now? 

I have a very wide taste in music so some of my favs right now include, She’s Always a Woman by Billy Joel, Blessings by Chance The Rapper, and Cherry Wine by Hozier. 

If you could tell UW-L one thing, what would it be? 

I would encourage everyone to be a part of at least one club or organization or something that gets you connected to the community because you can meet some super awesome people and gain a lot of perspective.

Sarah Mueller is a senior majoring in Organizational and Professional Communication and minoring in Professional Writing. She loves to write, run, and do yoga in her free time. Follow her on instagram: sarah_muelller