I Went To Bon Iver’s For Emma, Ten Year And I Don’t Have Much To Say

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

After finding out one of my favorite artists was not only coming to Milwaukee, WI but doing an anniversary concert for the debut of his first album, I knew it would be big. However, I clearly had no idea just how big it was going to be——-15,000 people to be exact. When I received a presale code for being a member on Bon Iver’s website, I thought to myself, “I’m going to score some killer seats.” I managed to get us in one of the nosest of nose bleed sections and that’s when I really got the hint this wasn’t going to be like any other experience I’ve ever had. 

A few days before the concert, I was browsing through Instagram when I came across Bon Iver’s post that mentioned this:

Before that moment, I didn’t think I could admire them any more than I had, but as always———they surprised me (any band that supports and empowers gender equity is a great one to me!) From the time I had first started listening to Bon Iver, I had a strong feeling they weren’t about gaining recognition or financial success but truly bringing people together through music. Their efforts to help the Women’s Fund of Greater Milwaukee and the little personal lyrical sheet placed in my vinyl, just proved it was about connecting with their fans and making a big difference. In our music industry today that’s extremely difficult to come by, so naturally, this made them special.

Within the few minutes of switching from the Collection of Colonies of Bees to Bon Iver, the place went from about 1/3 full to jam packed. From the first word that came out of Justin’s mouth singing Skinny Love, an ungodly silence took over and his angelic voicals were the only thing people wanted to hear. People often have a tendency to record every song they they can but this concert was one best experienced in real time, and everyone knew that. No video could do this moment justice, and frankly no one wanted to fight it either. An unreleased song, Hayward, WI, written around the same time as the album, played early on in the night was nothing short of the other masterpieces amongst For Emma. While all Vernon’s songs proved themselves raw and authentic, this one had an extra sense of intimacy. (Check it out here: https://youtu.be/t4SFSJtn-Ik). While it seemed nothing was going to outdo what had already been, Bon Iver amazed us once again by asking everyone to join him in the singing of Wolves (Act I And II). With all the ugliness and heartbreak going on in the world, having 15,000 people sing together was a moment that no one will ever be able to take away.

From the light show, candles, and fake snow to the overall vulnerabilty that filled the room when Justin let his vocals fly, this concert was one for the books. With the perfect amount of connecting with the crowd and digging into his own emotions, it was a powerful—–yet soothing and peaceful two hours. One that those there want to relive over and over again. This captivating performance confirms why For Emma and Bon Iver have grown into something as big as they have for their loyal fans. If you ever get an opportunity to see Justin and his incredible band members play, don’t pass it up.