This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

With finals right around the corner, many UW-La Crosse students have a lot of stress coming their way. Summer is so close but so far away. These next few weeks are going to go by so fast, and as much as everyone here at UWL wants a break from class and time to spend in the sun, we still have a few more weeks to get through. Stress is one of the few awful things about college. It seems we are all constantly stressing out about something (whether it be finances, grades, jobs or our futures), but it’s all about how you manage that stress.  There are many different ways and many different things a person can do to manage their stress, and coming to college you definitely begin to learn different ways to manage it all. Here are 11 to name a few:

1.  Workout—Exercise is a huge way to help reduce your stress. Whether it may be going for a short walk or going for a run, exercising daily can help you de-stress a ton. Take your dog for a walk or go rollerblading with some friends. It can help out tremendously.

2.  Spend some time with friends—No matter how many projects and papers we have coming up that we need to get done, it’s important to spend some time with your friends.

3.  Do something you enjoy—Always take time to do the things that make you happy. Always make sure you have time for you to do what youwant to do.

4.  Eat healthier—It makes a huge difference in how you feel by eating more veggies and more fruits. You feel healthier and have more energy.

5.  Take some time off—”Treat yo self” with breaks here and there.

6.  Stay away from caffeine—Although caffeine always seems like a good idea, it’s not always the best idea if you’re trying to relieve some stress. So skip that extra cup of coffee in the morning.

7.  Watch some Netflix—After a long day of school, studying and whatever else you have to do in a day, reward yourself with a few episodes of your favorite show.

8. Take deep breaths—Sometimes all it takes is closing your eyes and taking a few deep breaths.

9.  Stay away from bad vibes—If you find yourself hanging around people who don’t do anything to help you become a better person and always seem to be getting you down, get them out of your life. Your friends should be lifting you up, not tearing you down.

10.  Think of you—Yes, school is important but your mental health is even more important. Take care of yourself and be nice to yourself.

11.  Listen to some music—Music is the perfect way to calm yourself down after a rough day or a tough exam. 

Sarah Mueller is a senior majoring in Organizational and Professional Communication and minoring in Professional Writing. She loves to write, run, and do yoga in her free time. Follow her on instagram: sarah_muelller