How to Make the Most of the Rest of Your Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

It is crazy to think that it’s already March! This is the homestretch of the semester. Whether you’re graduating this semester or you’re a freshman in your second semester, it’s not too late to make the most out of the time that’s left! Unsure of what to do with the remaining few months left of the school year? Keep reading for ways to make the most of each day ahead! 

Try New Ways to Stay Active

Spring is right around the corner and that means we can start doing more things outside!  Whether it be rollerblading, bike rides, or ultimate frisbee, the opportunities are endless. The Rec has plenty of gear available to you to rent: bikes, rollerblades, and more. Stop in and ask what all they have available or visit their website https://www.uwlax.edu/recsports/ The Rec also offers a wide variety of fitness classes. If you don’t have a group fitness membership, no worries, you can pay for daily drop in at $3 per class. Go try out a cycling class, get in some cardio by learning to kickbox, or end the day relaxing by doing yoga! The possibilities are endless to go outside and get active, even if that means just going for a walk around La Crosse!

Join a New Club

It’s never too late to try something new, like joining a club! Go on over to https://uwlmyorgs.campuslabs.com/engage/ and click Find Organizations and see if anything catches your eye! Organizations love new members so don’t worry about joining. You never know if you’ll learn something new, get inspired, or meet a new friend! There’s a wide variety of organizations offered so you’re guaranteed to find a club you’re interested in, and if not, think about starting a new club that UWL could benefit from!

Change Up Your Study Scenery 

You’re over halfway through the semester and that much closer to summer where, hopefully, you’ll get a break from studying every day! It’s easy to head to the library right away when you want to go study, but that can get repetitive and boring! Considering its midterms, you probably have a lot of studying to do and when you study in the same spot every time it can lead to being unmotivated to study. Consider heading to the Union, Prairie Springs, or Centennial to study for a change! Want to get off campus? There’s plenty of places near campus that offer places to study: Global Grounds, 180 Nutrition, and Cool Beans are great places with great food and drinks to get while studying!

Stay Connected to Events on Campus

UWL offers a wide variety of events on campus for students. Sporting events, musical recitals and plays, guest speakers, bingo/trivia, and more! Events are posted all around campus and on social media. Weekly emails from your RA or UWL News, stall seat journals, social media via Instagram such as @uwlcab @uwlax @uwlathletics and more! Check these sources each week, especially UWL website https://www.uwlax.edu/events/ for updates on events going on around campus!

Recommit to Your Goals

Whether its academically or personally, we all have goals we want to accomplish. All of you are in college for your own reasons and goals, but it’s normal to feel unmotivated or discouraged during this time of the school year. It’s hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it’s important to remember it is there! Take time to sit down and remember what your goals are and why you’re doing what you’re doing. Why do you want to get good grades? Why do you want to workout? Why do you want to attend this event? It’s important to reflect on our goals and hold us accountable to them and making sure we stay on track with creating habits to reach those goals. It’s not too late to get back on track with them, but wanting to recommit to them is a good first step!

Overall, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel, but make sure to make the most of the rest of the time you have left! Try something new, make meaningful social connections, study somewhere new, even the slightest change can motivate you! You have the ability to make the most of your time here, it’s all about taking that first step!

Hi, My name is Morgan Hose and I am a first year UWL student! I am double majoring in Political Science and Communications on the Pre-Law track. In my free time, I love to binge watch criminal minds, run, and spend time with friends!