How to Give the Perfect Gift This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

It’s not so much the gift you give, but the way you give it.

As it grows close to the holiday season, it seems like everyone is out shopping, looking for the perfect gift for everyone on their list. It’s time consuming, it’s stressful, and it’s probably pretty expensive. But we do it every year, so we brave the crowds and find that perfect thing. It’s pretty much a December requirement.

Or is it really?

It can be nice when our friends and family tell us exactly what they want. Our lives are even easier if they give us a link on Amazon. But in some ways, getting exactly what you asked for is a bit of a letdown.

Remember a time when somebody gave you a great gift that you weren’t expecting. Knowing that they were thoughtful enough to find something you would love without an Amazon link is a pretty amazing feeling. It makes you feel special, like they really know you, and like they really care.

This year, I challenge you to go out on a limb for the people left on your shopping list. Don’t ask them exactly what they want. You’re giving them something because they mean something to you–draw from that relationship! Think about the things that make them smile or the experiences you’ve shared together.

As cliche as it sounds, give from the heart. Despite the pressure to give the perfect gift, I don’t think this will steer you wrong.

Anne is a junior at UW-La Crosse studying Broadcast and Digital Media Communication and Graphic Design. When she isn't busy studying or writing for Her Campus, Anne loves music, photography, drawing, and painting. Also, naps.