jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Enjoy the Rest of Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

This week marks the first official week of spring. Spring break may be over, but spring is just beginning, and for the next few months all UW-La Crosse students will be working hard to finish off the last part of the semester. Then, before we know it, it will be summer! Don’t let the fact that spring break is over distract yourself and unmotivated you. In just two months all of us students here at UWL will be finishing up our finals and heading our separate ways for the summer. As a freshman in college, no year has gone by faster than this one, and as excited as I am for warmer weather and summer nights, I cannot imagine my life for three months without all of the amazing people I have met the past seven months. Leaving everyone will be hard in May, but I know that before I know it, we will all be back together again. You only get to be a freshman in college once so I am determined to make the most of the next two months. Here are some different things I will be doing for the rest of the school year to live my freshman year to the fullest, and so should you!

1. Bluff hike as much as possible

Now that it’s spring and the weather is really starting to get warmer, it’s now time to make up for all the lost time that could’ve been spent hiking the bluffs.

2. Spend more time downtown La Crosse

One of the many things that adds to La Crosse’s charm is the downtown area that it has. You best believe I’ll be spending all of my extra free time at the Riverside Park down by the Mississippi River or checking out all the different boutiques.

3. Walk/Run the marsh trail

Time to forget about the track at the Rec and start running outside. The marsh trails are the perfect place to either going for a nice jog, rollerblade, or just to go for a nice walk.

4. Eat more ice cream from The Pearl

I don’t think there is such thing as eating enough ice cream at The Pearl.

5. Try out different coffee shops in La Crosse

I’ve been to quite a few of the coffee shops and cafes that downtown La Crosse has to offer, but I know there are a few that I’ve missed. I’m going to take the time to visit all of the ones I’ve missed.

6. Try something new

You know all of those things you swear you were going to do your freshman year but never got to them? Now is the time to do them!

7. Try not to take life so seriously

I’m not saying it’s not important to study and take your classes seriously, but if you don’t do as good as you wanted on an exam, don’t beat your self up over it. You have many more exams head of you. Your score on one isn’t going to change anything. 

8. Get to know more people

One of the great things about freshman year was meeting and getting to know a lot of different people. Here’s to meeting more!

Sarah Mueller is a senior majoring in Organizational and Professional Communication and minoring in Professional Writing. She loves to write, run, and do yoga in her free time. Follow her on instagram: sarah_muelller