photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Mark your calendars UW-La Crosse students! This year, we will be celebrating the 45th Annual Earth Day on April 22nd! For those of you who remember from our Elementary school days, Earth Day is an annual event created to celebrate the planet’s environment and raise public awareness about pollution. Basically, we spread a little love to mother nature and take some time out of our day to acknowledge we need to take better care of it.

With Earth Day coming up this April, here are some easy things you can do leading up to Earth Day, on Earth Day and after Earth Day, because Earth is the only home we have, so let’s make it the best place it can be!

Go Appreciate Nature.

Going to school with nature being right in our backyard makes it really easy to take it for granted. Nature is cool. Nature is awesome. Appreciate it! Plan a bluff hike, go rollerblading or just get outside–fresh air is good for you.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

This is more than just a silly saying we learned when we were younger. This April get rid of unused items and donate them, reuse old items that could still be handy and recycle! If you’re unsure if something is recyclable just look for a little recycle label located on the item.

Save Energy

There is no need to leave the lights on or electronics plugged in when you’re not using them. Unplug your phone chargers, toasters, microwaves and lamps when they are not in use. Every little thing can make a big difference!

Take Shorter Showers

The average American uses 25,300 gallons of water a year (69.3 gallons daily). An average shower uses five gallons of water a minute. If you can take little steps to shorten your shower time, such as taking colder showers (you’ll be less likely to take longer ones), and turning off the water while applying shampoo, conditioner or soap, it will make a big difference.

Meatless Dinners

Every once in awhile try to make a meal without meat in it. Reducing your meat consumption conserves fresh water, saves topsoil and even reduces air pollution.

Regardless of how you plan on spending Earth Day, please take some time out of your day to celebrate the Earth!