This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Everyone comes to college wanting the best possible experience. You come into college with an image in your head of what everything will be like. For example, what move in day will be like, what the first weekend will be like and what your classes will be like. But what the reality comes down to is that you never pictured what homesickness, getting lost walking to class and having to deal with not-so-great professors would be like. The truth of the matter is that, yeah college can be a good time, but sometimes it’s hard to get used to it. Of course, you are not alone in this matter. Every freshman goes through this during their first couple weeks, but before you know it you’ll be a confident college student! Here are just some tips and tricks to get your freshmen year off to a good start. Let’s make freshmen year great!

1. First off, remember everyone is in the same boat as you are. Although it may not seem like it, everyone else is trying to find new friends and trying to fit in as much as you are. Take advantage of this and make friends with the people in class with you or the girls down the hall from you. This leads me to my next point: make friends with the girls on your floor!

2. Take the time to make friends with all the girls on your floor! That way, you always have friends down the hall to go out to breakfast with in the morning or go work out with!

3. Go to your hall events! Although they may seem stupid and a waste of time, take time to go to the events that your hall is having! Attending these events is the perfect way to not only meet all the girls on your floor, but also meet everyone in the whole building!

4. Make some time to go to the events that your campus is having! Especially during the first few weeks of school, all of the clubs are out having fairs and booths trying to recruit new members. By just attending these events, you can make some new friends that have similar interests as you.

5. Join a club! Go find something that you are interested in and find a club! You name it, and I’m pretty sure there’s a club for that on your campus. Not only will you be doing something you love, but you may also meet some freshmen and upperclassmen.

6. STUDY! You may not have had to study much in high school, but we’re in college now, and you’re paying big bucks to be going to school here! At college, the classes are hard and the workload is even harder. So make sure you take a break from meeting all those new friends and make some time making friends with the library.

7. Remember not to panic. If you don’t seem to be meeting your new best friend by the end of the first week, don’t panic! Friendship takes time and it takes a while to meet good friends! Don’t worry; your time will come when you’ve got the perfect squad.

8. “Make some new friends, but don’t forget the old.” Don’t forget your friends and family back home. Take time to Skype your family, because even though you might be having the time of your life at college, they miss you more than you know! Tip: During the first week when you’re feeling more homesick than you thought, try to stop yourself from calling your Mom or Dad too much and try going out instead. Skyping your parents every night won’t help your homesickness; it might make it worse.

Sarah Mueller is a senior majoring in Organizational and Professional Communication and minoring in Professional Writing. She loves to write, run, and do yoga in her free time. Follow her on instagram: sarah_muelller