Everything You Need for The Perfect Holiday Study Environment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

The Holidays are nearing, and on that note, how do you focus on your studies at this point? The enduring excitement of home cooked meals, family and friends, presents and holiday cheer (not to mention the end of the semester) is just too much. The answer: incorporate holiday cheer in your studying. For one, it’s hard to celebrate the holidays when you’re too busy with end-of-the-semester projects and finals, so finding a way to study while getting in the holiday spirit is basically crucial to a successful holiday season. Secondly, as mentioned before, it really is a homework motivator.

Here are 6 things you need to create the perfect holiday study environment:

1. Fuzzy socks/slippers—Do you know that feeling when you climb into your bed, wrap yourself in your comforter, and then do a quick shiver with a huge grin on your face because you just got that comfy? Well, fuzzy socks and slippers are like this for your feet. And when your feet are happy, you’re happy.

2. Comfy pants and an oversized sweater—The importance of comfort when studying is essential. Before you settle into your study spot, slip on a pair of soft pants and an oversized sweater. Make sure the inside lining of your clothing is soft and, ideally, fuzzy as well. Note: matching is not necessary. In fact, you’ll find that most of your comfiest outfits would be extremely socially unacceptable in public.

3. String/cafe lights—For a warm, relaxed atmosphere plug in one or two incandescent lights, preferably string or café lights to give off a holiday vibe.  Incandescent lighting is that warm, yellow lighting you often see in cavalier settings.

4. Hot Coco—This is pretty much a given. The warm, chocolaty, seasonal drink brings you to a happy place in the midst of all the chaos that is college.

5. Holiday music—Now, there is debate about whether holiday music should be played before Thanksgiving, but I say the season is too short as it is, so the earlier the better. The music is soothing; perfect for keeping stress levels down and could lift the mood of even the Grinch on Christmas morning.

6. A study date—Having someone to have mini giggle breaks with, while still being able to work in silence, is nice to have so that you don’t feel alone in the struggles of college life. It can relieve some of the tension and negativity brought on by homework.

Making studying and doing homework a fun and enjoyable experience is key to keeping you motivated. I mean, why shouldn’t it be an enjoyable experience? We spend too much time complaining and stressing over school. Grab a cup of coco, turn on that holly jolly holiday music, and I guarantee you are in for a much more productive and happy study experience! 

Kasey is a UW-La Crosse collegiate, aspiring writer, and Campus Correspondent of the HC UW-Lax team. You can follow her on Pinterest @kaseyluo, Instagram @kaseylovergaard, and Twitter @kaseyLuO