Don’t Be Afraid To Bare It All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

The problem with wearing makeup is that as soon as you don’t people notice. Am I not able to just be myself? Can I not just wake up, wash my face, and go to school or work? Personally, I know as soon as I don’t have makeup on I hear this:

“Omg Jasmin, are you sick?”

“You look really tired today.”

“Girl, did you wake up late?”

Um … No; I JUST DON’T WANT TO WEAR MAKEUP TODAY!!

Here are 5 reasons why you can wear makeup:

1.       Because you can

2.       Because it doesn’t define who you truly are

3.       Because it can make you feel more confident

4.       Because IT’S FUN

5.       And because it’s honestly no one else’s business but yours

People, if you feel like stuntin’, you better come through with the beat face! I love when other girls wear makeup, because it’s like a form of artistic expression. If it makes you feel confident, great! But don’t feel like you have to wear makeup all the time. I used to wear makeup all the time, because I personally wasn’t comfortable in my own skin. I wore colored contacts, foundation, mascara, hair extensions–ya know, the works, because I felt like less of a person without it. I realized that I did not need that to feel whole. I stopped wearing my contacts and tried to stop wearing weave, but its lowkey kinda hard. But honestly, don’t let your makeup define you; do it because you enjoy it and don’t be afraid to bare it all, because you honestly are beautiful as heck to someone when you’re face is purely naked.

And to the haters that say they hate a girl who wears a ton of makeup, please stop. Most girls wear makeup, and when we don’t we get comments for it. Because of all the images we see through the media it is hard enough for us just to walk around and be “natural.” Womyn have the most pressure on them to look and be perfect; just understand that we have the choice to wear it or not. Please, stop trying to police what we do.

So, the next time you decide to not wear makeup and someone says,

“Wow you look different without makeup,”

respond with,

“Yeah, I wasn’t born with perfectly winged eyeliner that can cut you or a highlight as bright or even a perfectly blended foundation. So yeah, I guess it’s supposed to make me look different.”

COME THROUGH WITH THE BEAT FACES AND CONFIDENCE!