Dear Grandpa and Grandma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Dear Grandma & Grandpa,

About two months ago, I got the keys to your house. As I walked through the house again for the first time in years, there were so many things that were different, and some things still look like you’d be sitting in the next room. Either way, the walls still hold all the memories from when you called this home. After a whirlwind of events, I got to call this house, home. When Mom and Dad asked if I was settling in alright, it kind of caught me off guard. I remember moving into my first apartment and it took me weeks to adjust to a new place, but now it was like I was simply moving from one childhood home to another. It was not a new, strange place to me. It was a door I had walked through thousands of times, a kitchen I had cooked in, a basement I had played in, it was home.

As I run in and out the door constantly, balancing my busy schedule in my last semester of school, sometimes I catch my breath and remember all the love in my home. It’s comforting to know that I am blessed enough to have all of these memories.

I was sick last week, and the only thing I wanted was grammy noodles. So I went to the kitchen, where I used to stand on a step stool, and step by step heard your voice grandma telling me what was next and that I just needed a little bit more flour. As I sat and ate my noodles and thought of how much I love you both.

When I sit and watch television, I remember watching cartoons after school with you both sitting behind me. When I lay down at night, I remember sitting on your dresser Grandma and giving you a makeover. When I sit in the basement, I remember the pinecones that we used to paint and the paper airplanes we used to fly. Grandpa I remember you sitting on the swing outside as Grandma raked leaves for me to jump in.

But mostly, as I write this with tears in my eyes, I remember how much I miss you both.

Love you always,

Erin

Erin is currently a senior at UW-La Crosse majoring in Marketing and minoring in Interpersonal Communications. Being born and raised in La Crosse, she can't part with her hometown and her family. Fun-loving and outgoing, Erin smiles every chance she gets!