Campus Cutie: Archaeology Enthusiast Alex Welsch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Name: Alex Welsch

Hometown: Madison, Wisconsin

What year are you at UW-La Crosse?

Super Senior!

Major/Minor: I’m an Archaeology major with History and Geoarchaeology minors.

Relationship status: I’m taken.

What campus and/or community activities are you involved with?

I participated in Archaeological field school this summer in Holmen. We got hands on experience with how to dig properly and how to use excavation equipment. We were digging at an Oneota cultural site, which is a Native American culture. Right now I’m working on an independent research project on archaeology of the Great Lakes Region. I’m working with different professors to help with my research. I’m also writing my thesis on bog bodies of the European Iron Age. I’m looking at proving if they were ritual sacrifice victims or not. As far as the community goes, I am currently working at Victoria Secret at Valley View Mall.

What is your favorite thing about La Crosse?

I love the bluffs because I’ve learned how they were formed and I like being able to look at the geological history of the Mississippi Valley area.

Biggest pet peeve: I really hate it when people don’t clean up after themselves cause I love a clean house!

Who’s your biggest role model and inspiration?

My group of friends that I met in La Crosse. I know its not one person, but I feel like they are all independent, ambitious, and strong thinkers. They have inspired me in my daily life here in La Crosse.

Describe an ideal date: Eating food on a beach somewhere warm away from here.

Describe yourself in three words: Neat freak, Laid back, Sarcastic

Favorite food: Can I just say dessert? All of it.

What kind of music do you enjoy listening to?

Country music in the summer. I’ve realized recently that I don’t really listen to much music, usually just the radio or whatever my roommate Erin O’Connor shows me.

Favorite song to dance to at a party: I don’t dance. Is that really a question?

Where are you most likely to be found on a Friday night?

It depends, either working, with my friends, or with my boyfriend.

What are the qualities you find most attractive in a girl/guy?

I think it’s attractive when a person is independent and can make me laugh. I also look for guys that are into the outdoors.

What is the first thing you notice about a girl/guy?

Their smile…. and then their shoes. I used to work at shoe store and now I always find myself looking at people’s shoes.

What’s your go to pick up line?

I’ve never used a pick up line, but I’ve had them used on me. The funniest one I’ve heard was a Lord of the Rings one, “Were you forged by Sauron?… Cause you are precious!”

What is your dream job?

I would love to have my own Archaeological dig project one day, or perhaps become a baker.

How does it feel to be featured as a campus cutie?

I feel kinda awkward, but its fun!

Hello Folks! My name is Erin and I am senior at UWL majoring in English Education. Music and writing are my passions. I have been to over fifty concerts in my life and I have worn the same beat up old converse to every single one. My outlook on the world tends to be a little off the beaten path, but I hope you enjoy my perspective!