Campus Celebrity: Connor DeBruin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is Connor DeBruin, you may have seen him on the basketball court…

Where is your hometown?

Little Chute, WI

What are some nicknames you go by?

Cone- I got the nickname in high school, and unfortunately it somehow made its way to my teammates here.

When is your birthday? July 11th, 1993

What year are you currently in school or what year did you graduate from UW-La Crosse?

I am currently a senior in school, and set to graduate in May.

What do you enjoy most about UW-La Crosse and the La Crosse Community?

My favorite part about UW-La Crosse is the atmosphere around the campus. I like that there always seems to be a lot going on, and it’s nice seeing many people you know when going to and from class. The opportunities to make a lot of new friends are always around you.

When did you start playing basketball? What is your favorite part about the game?

I have been playing basketball for as long as I can remember; the first time I played somewhat organized basketball was at the local YMCA wrecking kids at the age of 4. I’m an extremely competitive person, so I like the competitive nature of it. Also, it takes many different components to be successful as a team; it’s never just one person that makes a team win, so I enjoy the team aspect of it.

How did your basketball career as an Eagle begin? What has been your most memorable basketball moment at La Crosse?

When deciding where I wanted to go to school, and play basketball La Crosse was always really high on my list. My Dad played basketball here, so I always thought it would be awesome to follow in his footsteps. When I came in as a freshman I realized how competitive it would be to even make the team, but fortunately I did, and have been able to continue to improve over the last few years. My most memorable moment thus far was beating Whitewater when they were ranked #1 in the nation, although hopefully by the end of the year we have another moment that trumps that one.

What is/was your major and minor?

I am a Business Management Major.

What is your dream job? What did you want to be when you were little?

My dream job would be to own my own business that deals with athletics, and sportswear. When I was little I always wanted to be a professional basketball player.

What are your future plans?

Upon graduating in May, I plan to move to Minneapolis and work somewhere near there. I’ve been reviewing prospective jobs there, but ultimately, wherever I can get a good job will be where I end up.