The Bra Size Double Standard: 5 Perks to Big & Small Boobs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

As a female I know what it’s like to be held to a double standard. Women are supposed to be sexy but not slutty, available but not desperate, not too chubby but not too skinny–the list goes on. One double standard I don’t think is talked about enough in particular is the size of our ladies (A.K.A. our bra size). Our breasts are either too big or too small, and we are held to these standards by not just others, but also ourselves. As women, we are constantly self-conscious about the size of our breasts, am I right? I mean how can we not be when our boyfriends are drooling over Katy Perry, pornstars or size 0 supermodels? We are notorious for comparing ourselves to other women. It’s what we do, and it’s self-destructing. As a New Year Resolution I challenge all of you Collegiettes to embrace your ladies and love them for whatever size they are. There are many perks to each bra size, big or small. Here are five advantages to each bra size that will make you appreciate and fall in love with your ladies again.

For all you A-B Cup Ladies:

1. You can wear low cut shirts.

Button-down t-shirts, V-necks, sleeveless tops, crop tops, etc. Your advantage to being small chested goes further than just being able to wear low cut shirts without your ladies bulging out. It’s easier to wear less clothing without revealing too much when you are smaller chested. You can pull off that sleek and elegant vibe with no problem at all.

Take Kate Hudson in her plunging neckline gown at the 2013 Oscar Awards. Tell me that’s not beautiful. Sexy just got a whole lot easier if you ask me.

2. What bra?

One of the greatest perks to being small chested is the ability to get away without wearing a bra. Emergency coffee runs to the grocery store in the morning or spontaneous trips to Taco Bell are not a problem if you’re too lazy to put on a bra; you’re only one baggy sweatshirt away from that 5-layer Beefy Cheese burrito.  Plus, you don’t have to worry about your ladies bouncing all over the place. If you’re really lucky, you may even be able to get away without wearing a bra to school. What’s even better is you don’t necessarily need an oversized sweatshirt to go braless. Women will small breasts can pull off the tank top with a built-in bra. For busty women it’s usually like ‘what’s the point’, right? But for smaller breasts they’re a must-have sent from heaven. In your case, built-in bras are helpful and a worth-while buy.

3. Back problems are nonexistent.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that being smaller chested saves you from a lot of back stress. There’s not as much mass to weigh you down in the front that accounts for a lot of back problems in larger chested women, not to mention headaches. Better posture goes hand-in-hand with this as well. Your body’s symmetry allows for an even weight balance between your back and your torso. Many larger chested women would do anything to have this advantage!

4. Exercising is that much more bearable.

It’s hard enough already trying to control all other parts of your body while exercising without having to worry about your ladies. Women with small breasts have this advantage. For one, it’s easier to fit into a sports bra (whereas some women need two sports bras just to support it all) and moving around isn’t as painful. Gravity is on your side my small chested friends. Be thankful. Exercising, airplane turbulence, stairs, rollercoasters–you name it. All of these things are just that much more enjoyable when you have small breasts.

5. Studies say foreplay is more pleasurable.

Shocking, I know. Most men in our society today would argue differently, but studies have shown that the less fat tissue there is, the easier it is to stimulate. Research done by the University of Vienna showed that larger breasts are 24 percent less sensitive than small breasts. Plus, let’s face it–your partner can’t ever get enough of you!

For all you C plus Ladies:

1. You never have to worry about filling a top.

Any girl with small breasts know how frustrating it is to fall in love with a top that just isn’t built for their bra size. There isn’t anything more maddening than trying to make a loose bustline work with small boobs. Women with larger breasts never have to worry about filling in a top. Tight fit and body forming clothing highlight your assets instead of deflating them.

Kim Kardashian, notorious for her large breasts, shows busty women how they can flaunt their ladies in her tight forming greek goddess dress at the 2010 Emmy awards.

2.  You give the best hugs.

It’s simple. The more you have the more lovable and huggable you are. Your breasts are like a pillow and no one can compete with that. Your curves are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to hugging and cuddling. Need I say more?

3. Falling isn’t as tragic.

In Wisconsin, you can be sure that there will be icy winters, and you can be sure you will probably fall flat on your stomach at one point or another. The good news is for all the busty lovelies out there, the fall won’t nearly hurt you as much as it will your smaller chested friends. Who’s laughing now?! Not only do your ladies act as pillows, but they act as cushions, as well. There’s nothing like a full-time bodyguard to save the day!

4. You have a built in pocket.

With tight skinny jeans, yoga pants and leggings taking over the world there became a shortage of pockets. The lack of places to store phones, change and everything else became a problem for a lot of us. Ladies with cleavage on the other hand do not have to suffer as greatly in this transition. In this case, cleavage becomes a grand advantage. You can secure your phone or money in your shirt if your hands are tied. Purses are annoying and are hard to keep track of, especially if you’re at a party or a bar. If you’re someplace you don’t want to lose something or carry around a purse, big breasts may come in very handy–an advantage small chested women can only dream of.

5. You’ll never have to invest in a push-up.

Lastly, busty women don’t need to invest in a push-up bra or those impossible clear “push-up” stick-ons used for backless tops and dresses. It’s hard work trying to perk up your ladies to fit the bustline. Busty women are lucky and don’t have to worry about trying to form their breasts to a certain style, or, at least, lift them up. The less bra material you have to work with the better. In a way, it is very liberating!

Women are constantly comparing themselves to others, to sex icons and photoshopped models, and trying to live up to unrealistic standards. It’s time to accept the beauty of your bra size. No one can be something they are not and nobody is perfect (and what is perfect anyway?). Our bodies and bra size come in all different shapes and sizes, and there are obviously many reasons to love all of them! Who gets to say what is beautiful or sexy and what isn’t? Embrace your ladies, ladies; they’re all beautiful!

Kasey is a UW-La Crosse collegiate, aspiring writer, and Campus Correspondent of the HC UW-Lax team. You can follow her on Pinterest @kaseyluo, Instagram @kaseylovergaard, and Twitter @kaseyLuO