The Best La Crosse Coffee Shops to Help Fuel Your Caffeine Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Classes are back in session which means your late night dates with the university library are in order. So how exactly do you maintain enough energy to focus on homework when you’re sleep deprived and lack any desire to even open up your laptop? The simple answer is coffee and lots of it.

My dad recently pointed out to me in his naturally sarcastic manner that I was in dire need of a “Java Intervention.” The only way I see fit to keep up on projects, papers, and readings while skipping over a necessary nap is coffee; especially while attempting to balance a part-time job, internship, and full credit load. Thus, the need for one, two, or maybe even three lattes in one day or indulging in an entire pot of coffee in my opinion is perfectly acceptable. Don’t worry; there is no shame in your addiction. In fact, let me help you by pointing out a few local coffee shops to assist you in fulfilling your caffeinated cravings.

1. Einstein Brothers

Located in Cartwright, this one stop shop has everything you need to refuel for class. Be sure to bring your Tower One card (aka student ID) with you when you go, as you can use campus cash and block meal plans to pay for any coffee or treats you wish to purchase.

2.“Starbucks” in Centennial Hall

This student ID friendly location can serve as a convenient stop on your way to and from class when you need that extra boost of energy to get you through the day.

3. Peets Coffee & Tea

Undoubtedly, you’ll have a few dates with Murphy Library and Peets is centrally located on the first floor of the university library. They open bright and early at 7:45 AM and close at 2:00 in the afternoon, but not to worry, they open again at 7:00 and will gladly serve you until 10:00 PM. Another positive note, you can use your block meal plans and campus cash at this location too. Score! 

4. MOKA

West Avenue is where you’ll find MOKA nestled right between student housing on State and Main. With a cozy environment, friendly service, and Wi-Fi services this coffee shop makes it easy for you to work on your studies while enjoying an espresso filled beverage not too far from campus.

5. McCaffrey’s Coffee

This Irish themed business is located right behind Cartwright on Pine Street provides a welcoming environment with several flavors of coffee brewed daily. They even have Blarney Scones and Leprechaun Cake Balls for you to enjoy while you sip on your beverage. 

6. Java Vino

Coffee and wine, need I say more? Whether you need a little wake-up call or want to unwind after a long day, Java Vino is the place for you. Offering gourmet coffee and the finest of wines, this coffee shop is located at 2311 State Road and Losey Boulevard. Best of all, they provide free, yes free house coffee for students every Sunday from 9:00 AM-9:00 PM as long as you present them with your student ID.

7. Root Note

Take a stroll through downtown La Crosse and stop into the Root Note for music, merriment, and of course an espresso pick-me-up. Its name truly says it all, as they provide live music entertainment that will capture your attention and win over your. There’s no question you will want to keep coming back to see what featured local musicians the Root Note has in store for its customers to enjoy.

8. Cabin Coffee

In need of a rustic, cozy atmosphere that feels like home? Look no further. Cabin Coffee Company is at the corner of 4th and Jay Street in downtown La Crosse. They offer breakfast, lunch, and catering services along with freshly brewed Arabica coffee.

9. Starbucks

You’ll have to catch the city bus or hop in the car to get to real Starbucks, but it’s surely worth the short drive. Off of Highway 16 is where you will find the infamous green and white mermaid queen that has captured everyone’s heart.

10. Caribou Coffee

Slightly closer than Starbucks, Caribou Coffee Company aims to provide the “highest quality handcrafted beverages and to be the community place loved by our extraordinary guests.” They have a large assortment of flavors and treats for you to choose from that will arouse your taste buds and leave you wanting more.

In the chilly fall weather, what better way to cozy up and stay warm than stopping into one of La Crosse’s local coffee shops and remember…coffee is the most important meal of the day.