This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

When I was a freshman in high school, I had a principal who stressed that at the end of the four-year journey that I was about to embark on, I would look back and feel as though it lasted five minutes. Of course, all of us 15-year-old students would laugh, thinking “yeah, right.” When graduation rolled around, all of us, with a few tears in our eyes and excitement in our hearts, realized that the time truly did fly.  We were all about to embark on a new journey and truly begin our lives, but we all were left wondering where the time had gone. Each of us had different intensities of excitement for the new adventures that were about to begin, but whether we wanted to admit it or not, we were still clinging to the last pieces of our childhood.

We all wanted 5 more minutes with friends, family, teachers, coaches, coworkers, etc. Eventually, we were thrown into the next chapter, whether we were ready or not. The truth is, though, we all experience this desire for “five more minutes.” And it always happens when we are flying into something new and unchartered in our lives. It’s scary, exciting, fresh…and that’s life.

Wherever you are at in life, I’m sure you can think of the moments in which you reminisce and wish you had five more minutes of. But those memories came in a time that was once the present. You were living in the moment and making your current situation special in ways you didn’t even realize.

So, this is my proposition. Instead of focusing so heavily on the need for five more minutes of the stage in life you just traveled through, remember to be present. Remember back fondly, but also focus on the current time you’re living in. Make those memories, while looking to the future with dreams and glancing back to learn from where you’ve come.

Life is one big, beautiful journey. The past, present, and future are all essential to the story. I think, though, that reminding yourself to be present is important. Be happy in the season you’re in. Live through it, make memories, and watch the colors change. Appreciate the happy moments in where you are. Listen to your surroundings, chase the dreams in your heart, and love.

The five minutes ahead of you right now are opportunity to shine, grow, and live in a brand-new way. Enjoy today.

Just an English major and barista who loves to travel, hammock, and pet dogs. Psalm 46:5.