7 Trips to Take Over Spring Break in Wisconsin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Spring break is almost here UW-La Crosse students, and I don’t know if it’s just me, but I am ready for a break. For Spring break this year some students are lucky enough to go south-–jealous. However someone of us are lucky enough to stay home and take in this beautiful area we live in.

For me, I am one of those lucky individuals that get to stay in this beautiful area and explore the state of Wisconsin. Therefore, I have gathered the top seven places that are a must see in the state of Wisconsin.

1. Amnicon Falls State Park

There are four waterfalls in Amnicon Falls State Park. The Amnicon River forks around an island with two waterfalls on each side. Upper and lower Amnicon Falls are certainly pretty, especially with the old covered bridge over the lower falls, and temperamental Now and Then Falls is interesting.

2. Morgan Falls

This little stream drops about 70ft diagonally across a granite cliff. It pools in a few areas before trickling down again. Despite the fact that it’s in a remote part of the state, it’s only a short hike from a parking lot, so even the laziest people can enjoy it.

3. Natural Bridge State Park

A 530-acre park surrounds the state’s largest natural arch, carved out of the sandstone by wind erosion. Under the arch is the Raddatz Rockshelter, where evidence that humans lived there dates back to 8000 to 9000 BCE. That makes it the oldest documented site of human occupation in the upper Midwest and lands it on the National Register of Historic Places.

4. Willow Falls

A dam used to block the Willow River from entering the area of the falls, but in 1992 the dam was removed and now it’s back to being pretty again. This is a particularly wide waterfall, and looks even better in the winter with ice all around. 

5. Devils Lake

Devil’s Lake is the third oldest state park in Wisconsin, the largest and the most visited. Devil’s Lake offers magnificent views from 500-ft quartzite bluffs overlooking a 360-acre lake. 

6. Daves Falls

There are more steep rapids than traditional waterfalls, but don’t inflate your raft; it’s too rocky. Instead, hike along side of the Pike River, have a picnic and blow up your Instagram.

7. Cascade Falls

Cascade Falls is unusual because it’s right in the middle of a Osceola, a town that sprang up because the falls supported a mill and brewery. You can take steps down to the falls right off the main road. Cascade Falls is a perfect little day road trip if you are looking to get out and sight-see!

These are seven amazing road trips to do over spring break. Pick one or try to plan to hit a few over the week. However, I warn you for many of these beautiful places you will need to purchase a state park pass which is only a one time fee to explore Wisconsin’s beautiful scenic area all year!