This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

50 Movies for Spooky Season

It’s just that time of year, whether we’re ready for it or not. I used to be a huge fan of scary movies in high school. I would stay up late on school nights, watching the scariest of scary movies until three in the morning, all by myself. Now? Horror comedies and Disney channel Halloween originals is about the best I can do – only as long as it’s still light outside.

Since I am so sensitive to being ~spooked~ (in other words, yes, I do generally get a bit jumpy when the toast pops out of the toaster), I thought: how great would it be if someone made a guide to the best of the best Netflix and Hulu spooky time movies? My credibility is outstanding in this area of study because I am a lover of a lot of Halloween classics that the 80’s gifted us (Friday the 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Jeepers Creepers – I can thank my dad for loving this genre), and I used to love the gory, new-age horror movies, and I apparently scare easily with age, so I have a newfound appreciation for the children’s genre of Halloween movies!

Below I have your masterlist to creepy movies, easily accessible through Netflix and Hulu! Pop some popcorn, heat up your apple cider, and grab your scary movie cuddle buddy because it’s about to get real frightening up in here (listed in order from my personal opinion of least to most likely to make you pee your pants). Also, before we get into this, am I the only one who is TERRIFIED of the movie Coraline? Or is that strange for an adult woman?

Netflix

1. Goosebumps (*TV show*)

2. Goosebumps 2

3. Murder Mystery

4. Charmed (*TV show – the OG one*)

5. Scary Movie 2

6. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

7. The Kirlian Frequency

8. Scream

9. Scream 2

10. Scream 3

11. Coraline

12. Cult of Chucky

13. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (*TV show*)

14. The Babysitter 

15. Carrie

16. In the Tall Grass

17. Creep

18. The Sixth Sense

19. As Above, So Below

20. Insidious

21. The Conjuring

22. The Bye Bye Man

23. Hush

24. The Witch

25. The Ritual (scary, SCARY)

Hulu (HULUWEEN)

1. Tyler Perry’s Boo 2! A Madea Halloween

2. The Monster Squad

3. Snakes on a Plane

4. Uncanny Annie

5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

6. Constantine

7. Cloverfield

8. Invasion of the Body Snatchers

9. Pumpkin Head

10. Jigsaw

11. Saw

12. The Evil Dead

13. The Haunting

14. Child’s Play

15. Mommie Dearest

16. Rosemary’s Baby

17. Hellraiser

18. The Purge

19. The Amityville Horror

20. Paranormal Activity 2

21. Children of the Corn

22. The Orphanage

23. The Come Knocking

24. A Quiet Place

25. Case 39