10 Reasons To Stay Single Your Freshman Year In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Once settled into college, you probably find yourself admiring the cute couples walking past as you dig into your Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. You see the happiness radiating off of their faces, and you start to wonder if finding someone will fill a random void in your life. 

Trust me, it won’t. Being single is the best thing that can happen to you as a freshman in college and here are 10 reasons why:

1. It effects your grades.

You came to school for an education, and being in a relationship will only distract you from that. You notice yourself skipping out on study time, sleep, and classes, just to spend some extra quality time with them. 

2. You don’t have the time.

Although in college it seems like we have all the time in the world, we don’t. You have friends to build relationships with and clubs to be apart of. College is a huge transition and it’s going to take time before you can manage your schedule, so wait before adding someone else to the agenda. 

3. It’s too much stress.

On top of your job, working out, classes, study groups, exams, homework, friends, and family, the last thing you need to do is add more stress to your life. The drama isn’t worth the worry, all you need to do at this time is focus on yourself. 

4. You’re all poor. 

You don’t have the money to spend on movies, dinners, and spur of the moment road trips. All the money you have saved up should go to yourself. Be selfish, and buy yourself something nice for all the hard work you’ve put in so far at school.

5. The distance sucks.

Saying “I love you” from a million miles away is never fun, and neither is the on going bickering from not seeing each other in so long. You’re just in two separate parts of your life at this point, so it’s best to walk the path alone with no one but friends nearby. 

6. College is suppose to be fun.

Don’y spend your time at a party on your phone worrying about what he thinks about your outfit, or make-up, tell him to screw off and get back to the dance floor. 

7. You need to find yourself first. 

Go out. Get crazy. Party three days in a row. As long as you look out for yourself, and spend the night laughing with friends, who cares?

8. You need to experiment.

College is filled with many attractive boys, go out and kiss a few frogs before you find your prince. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, you never know what might happen.

9. You control yourself.

You don’t want to go home till four in the morning? Great. You want to eat six pieces of pizza? Go for it. You are in control of your own life. 

10. You get free drinks.

Go out in a cute outfit and feel good about yourself. Let boys buy you drinks. If you look beautiful, why not? Just because you’re independent doesn’t mean it’s not nice to have someone think you’re attractive every once and a while.

Hi my name is Madi! I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- La Crosse as a Communications major. I love to sing, dance, play tennis, workout, cuddle my dog, and hang with my floor mates. I am a traveler and hope to visit all of Europe before I die.