Silly Girl
Silly Girl
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Wellness

What Social Distancing has Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

As the COVID-19 virus continues to sweep across the globe and put a halt on life as we once knew it, it is important to reflect on these times in the most positive way possible. Life will return to normal and when it does, don’t take it for granted. 

Enjoy every moment with your friends

We often take the simple things in life for granted. Becoming isolated from other people is a challenge in itself, but being stripped of the ability to see the people that make life fun shows you how much they mean to you. When everyday activities that you usually spend with friends have been taken away, you realize how much their company means to you. Never take spending time with your friends for granted. Plan fun trips, go out to eat, and just enjoy each other’s company.

Prioritize time for your family

As a college student, being sent home to live with my family 24/7 was not the most exciting idea. It was almost as if the independence that I have been working towards to obtain for myself has now taken a huge step back. But don’t let this time become a burden, rather use this time of isolation with family to bring you closer to the ones you love the most. Rekindle old memories and have fun together, you never know when you will have this opportunity again.

Make a list of things you want to see, and don’t let anything stop you

You never know how badly you want to do something before you physically cannot. With many things being shut down not only within the United States but globally, you realize how much there is to see in the world. Use this time at home to plan things that you want to see in the future. Create an epic bucket list of things you want to do. When this is all over, don’t let anything stop you from seeing all the amazing things the world has to offer.

Don’t feel guilty about dining out

When cooking meals and ordering take-out becomes your only option, going out to eat seems like a dream come true. While eating at home has given me the chance to advance my cooking skills, going to my favorite restaurant or café is all I want to do. When the world returns to normal, take advantage of going to your favorite spot and eating your favorite foods. Don’t take going out to dinner lightly, enjoy that time with family and friends to feel pampered and socialize.

The world is bigger than just you

While COVID-19 does not seem like an imminent threat to my life, social distancing has taught me to be more thoughtful of the people around me. You never realize how vulnerable some of your loved ones are until this type of situation occurs. This is the time to prove that our generation is not selfish or irresponsible, but a time to show that we are willing to put aside our desires for the greater good of society. 

• Emily Santosuosso
Sophomore Business Student
Hello! My name is Alex Rosenberger and I was the Campus Correspondent my senior year for the Her Campus Chapter at University of Vermont from January 2020- May 2020. At UVM I studied Public Communication and it's where I found my current passions which includes lifestyle writing, content creation, branding, and graphic design! Thanks for reading!