UVM Top Cats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

UVM might be known for its hockey team, but we also take a cappella just as seriously.

Compared to Middlebury College, which has seven groups and a fraction as many students, UVM’s Student Government Association only recognizes four groups: The Cat’s Meow, The UVM Hit Paws, UVM Zest and, Her Campus’ personal favorite, The Top Cats. The Top Cats are an all-male a cappella group bound by their love for music — not to mention they are the nicest guys. “We’re all best friends and we all have this immediate thing in common, which is music and our singing,” President Owen Rachampbell (’14) said. The Top Cats sample songs from a wide variety of genres as well as guest and personal a cappella compositions. “We’ve had from Young the Giant to Grand Funk Railroad,” Social Chair Reed Whitmont (’16) said. “Someone once said ‘from hip-hop to doo-wop,’” Rachampbell added.

The Top Cats have auditions at the beginning of every semester, however, fall semester is the big semester for tryouts; typically 30 to 40 guys will audition for only a handful of spots. There are three major performances a semester, and between those shows there are smaller, more intimate shows like their upcoming Halloween performance on November 2nd. The group will be hosting a guest a cappella group, the Skidmore Sonneteers, for the event and the “audience is encouraged to dress up for the show,” Rachampbell said. “Halloween is definitely all about the fun,” he continues. “We’re all in costume — we play up the costumes as part of the songs.” The group not only hosts other a cappella groups, they also travel at least once a semester to another school. “It really broadens our horizons to what else is out there as well as just the same way we’re all friends we make friends with other groups because we all have that in common — the music aspect,” Rachampbell said.

Rehearsals are two hours long and three times a week, with the possibility of an extra practice the week of an upcoming show. During that time, the Top Cats will learn new songs as well as bring back traditional songs. “There’s always a little bit of goofing off going on, but we try and be as productive as possible,” Whitmont said. 

The Top Cats encourage members to prioritize school and work over the group, despite it still being a huge commitment. “We all cherish academics, friends, family and everything else,” Rachampbell said. “We’re not just singers, we try and be well rounded individuals, however you may interpret that.” 

Business Manager Zach Barden (’15), who joined Top Cats the second semester of his first year, said that members have to be dedicated to learning the material. “It gets tough because we have so many songs to learn and we’re constantly updating our repertoire,” he said. According to Rachampbell, spring semester is a very tough semester to get in, but the Top Cats hold auditions every semester because “you never know what you’re going to see.” “We always love to see new faces, so we highly encourage you to come try out, even if you have had no previous a cappella experience,” he said.

So who knows? If you’re reading the article and happen to be of the male gender (Hey! We do get some!), look out for the Top Cats auditions next semester and you could be a part of this awesome campus celebrity.