The Top Ten Reasons You Should Be Signed Up For UVM’S NEDA Walk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

http://neda.nationaleatingdisorders.org/site/TR/NEDAWalk/General?fr_id=3580&pg=entry

1. Because you’re in college. At this age boys and girls are at a very high risk of developing an eating disorder and education = prevention.

2. Because someone you know is struggling. 95% of those who have eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 25. You may not know it but I can guarantee you that in either in your friend group, classroom, workplace or elsewhere you know someone who struggles with an eating disorder. What better way to show your support?

3. Because we’re all in this together. The societal pressures may seem minor or unnoticed, but cumulatively they make impact. No one should feel that their body dictates their worth and together we can work against the unrealistic expectations put on young women.

4. Because it’s happening right on the campus green. You really don’t have an excuse to not go.

5. Because NEDA is doing amazing work, running a 24/7 hotline, creating support groups all in the effort of helping millions of teens struggling nationwide.

6. Because it’s on $15 dollars to sign up. Think about you what you spend on a meal out or a movie or concert ticket. Most students can swing the $15 dollar registration fee, especially knowing it’s going to a great cause.

7. Because you can count it as your workout for the day. Is there really a better way to kick off your Saturday than with a nice, refreshing walk?

8. Because there will be awesome giveaways and raffles! I mean come on, FREE STUFF!!!!!

9. Because Eating Disorders takes more lives each year than any other mental illness. Yes, this is not just “I think I’m fat”, these illnesses take lives and Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescents.

And last but not least,

10. Because this whole event has been student organized and taken a HUGE amount of effort. Come out to support your classmates and all the hard work they’ve done!

Smoothie addict. Harry Potter nerd. Advocate for compassion.