This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By Sierra Byrne 

Each month has a holiday associated with it. In January, we celebrate the new year. In March, we celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day. In November, we celebrate Thanksgiving. In the final and jollist month of the year, we celebrate Christmas- at least in my family. 

Once October is over, the busiest holiday season starts. The competition to have the brightest Christmas lights, the tastiest peppermint bark, and the longest Christmas list begins. In the midst of the chaotic, yet exciting, holiday season, the extreme burnout that students face is nothing less than excruciating. 

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays (besides my birthday, of course, if that counts). Sadly, Thanksgiving in the life of a college student is nothing like it used to be. When I was little, Thanksgiving break excited me because it gave me an opportunity to hang out with family and friends. Now, thanksgiving break seems like nothing but a much needed mental, emotional and physical break. 

Truthfully, I see the week that we have off nothing but mental preparation for the most exhausting and stressful final two weeks. You are challenging the final party scene of the semester but also enduring long hours in the library, knee deep in textbooks and taking every minute to study for a final that just creeped up on you. 

I love the holidays, but after being in college for the past 3 years, I felt like by the time I truthfully got in the holiday spirit, it was gone before I knew it. So, this year I did something that my old self would be mad at me for: I started watching Christmas movies in November, even before Thanksgiving. 

When I was younger, I always viewed Thanksgiving to be one of my most favorite holidays. I looked forward to my large Irish family coming into town and spending  time sitting around the dinner table, eating home-cooked food and watching football. This year, however, I wanted to embrace the so-called ‘jolly’ holiday season and get in the Christmas mood as soon as the Halloween candy disappeared. 

In a cheesy way, I broke a tradition that I have followed for the longest time. Some years, new traditions are called for. This year was one of those years. From now on, I will be one of those people who get in the holiday spirit in November. Call me names and say whatever you want, but the holiday season makes me the happiest! You can bet I will drag out the Christmas spirit for as long as I can. 

‘Tis the season to be jolly so I hope you all find ways that make you the jolliest.

With love, Sierra

Hi! I'm Sierra Byrne and I am the current Campus Coordinator for Her Campus at the University of Vermont! I am a Senior studying Public Health Sciences in hopes of becoming a Physician Assistant! I have always had a passion for journalism and have been writing for Her Campus since I was a first year. I hope you enjoy reading my articles and be sure to check out some of our other amazing writers who are apart of HCUVM!