This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

We have skipped fall and gone straight to winter. Lately, the weather has been all over the place, ranging from the high 50s to low 30s. Temperatures this cold and unpredictable require further precaution on your part. If you’re someone who exercises outside regardless of weather, follow these tips to make sure that you are protected from the cold while keeping your regular exercise routine.

1.  Talk to your doctor

If you have a medical condition or take any prescriptions, talk to your doctor before working out in cold weather. They will tell you what preventative measures you must take to avoid any issues.

2.  Check the weather

This one seems pretty straightforward, but check the weather! Be smart and know what temperature is too cold for your body to handle. On that note, it is not a good idea to work out in extremely cold weather. If the temperature drops to 0, consider working out inside that day.

3.  Know the signs of frostbite and hypothermia

Frostbite and hypothermia are very common and very real dangers of spending too much time in cold climates. Symptoms of frostbite include loss of feeling and a stinging sensation. The signs of hypothermia include slurred speech, shivering, fatigue, and loss of coordination. Know the symptoms of both frostbite and hypothermia and seek help if you suspect that you have either.

4.  Dress in layers

Dressing in layers is very important to exercise outside. Wear thin gloves underneath larger gloves or mittens, wear thick thermal socks or an extra pair of regular socks, and bring a hat! You may also want to consider wearing a ski mask to cover your face. Remember, you can always take off any extra layers as you warm up!

5.  Stay hydrated

Make sure that you are drinking lots of water while you are working out outdoors. You can still become dehydrated in colder weather, even though it is hard to notice.

English and Art History major at the University of Vermont