This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By: Maddie Mallon

Don’t get me wrong- I love going out on the weekend. However, there have definitely been times where I needed to rest but still found myself heading downtown. Sometimes, a night in is the best thing for me, but FOMO (fear of missing out) often gets the best of me. I’m still working on this, but here are some of my rules for having the perfect night in! 

1. Be Selfish

No matter what your reason is for staying in and having a night alone, stick to that reason! It is okay to prioritize your own needs. This means that you can say no to responding to that text, going to that party, whatever it is that you don’t necessarily want to do! At the end of the night (or the next morning), you’ll be glad that you stuck to your own intentions for the night.

1. The Shower + Comfy Clothes

Having a night in is the perfect excuse to be as cozy as possible. For me, I like to take the “everything shower” and put on a matching pajama set afterwards. The everything shower is a shower that is long and relaxing, and you do every possible task that you would do in the shower. This is when I do a hair mask, self tan, and exfoliate. There is no better feeling than the feeling I get after this shower! It’s super relaxing and allows you to spend some time with your thoughts without distractions. 

1. Identify Your Objective of the Night

Even if you aren’t staying in for any particular reason, find a goal for your night. Your goal can range from finishing an assignment, catching up on your favorite show, or reading a new book. Decide on one thing that you want to do that night and do it! This is especially helpful for me, since I always want to feel like I’m being productive and accomplishing something. 

1. Think About Your Feelings

I think having a self care or relaxing night is the perfect time to really feel my feelings. I like to journal with The Five Minute Journal. Even if you don’t have some type of structured journal, you can still find prompts online or just write down whatever’s been on your mind lately. I typically am a little stressed out, and doing this is really calming and helps me organize my thoughts. 

1. Reduce Your Screen Time

Don’t get me wrong, I can spend hours scrolling on tiktok. However, I’ve noticed I fall asleep much quicker if I read a book instead of using screens before bed. 

As we near the end of the semester and the start of winter, cozy nights are going to become much more frequent for me. It’s important to spend time hanging out with yourself and enjoying your own company! 

Love, 

Maddie

Hi! I'm Maddie Mallon and I am the current senior editor of Her Campus at the University of Vermont! I'm a junior studying Philosophy and Economics, with the hopes of attending law school after my time here at UVM. Along with being a member of Her Campus, I'm on UVM Panhellenic's executive board serving as the VP of Recruitment Programming. I've always had a passion for writing and have been writing for Her Campus since my freshman year!