Respect the RA: What It Actually Takes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

What does it really take to be an RA? A lot of time, effort, and dedication go into it—probably way more than you would think. I was able to talk to a few RAs in the Mason, Simpson, Hamilton, Coolidge, Redstone complex to figure out what you need to do to apply and what happens once you’re accepted. Applications are already live, so here are some things to know before you decide to apply!

How do you apply?

There are a lot of steps that go into this, so don’t leave it until the last minute! Besides filling out a bunch of standard info, there are an additional three essay questions, group interviews, and individual interviews. You also need two references and must shadow an RA, as well as attend a community development activity.

What kind of training do you do?

RAs must move in two weeks before all of the other residents. They do emergency work training (sexual harassment, fires, etc.), as well as administrative and front desk training. They learn how to make effective bulletin boards, how to deal with the duty phone, warning signs for students of concern, and so much more! These two weeks are extremely important, especially if you haven’t been an RA before.

What are some not-so-great things you might deal with as an RA?

Lots of residents don’t really respect the RA, or are afraid to get too close in case they get in trouble. While the RAs main duty is to make sure you follow the rules and are being safe, they are also there to be your friend. If you want to be an RA, you should evaluate if you’re the type of person who can balance being both a friend and an authority figure.

What’s the best part about being an RA?

“There are also good points like getting to know amazing people in a really intimate way that most people would only tell their dates. I also really love supporting so many amazing students. My RA staff has made me feel like I have a second family, which is incredible. I really do love this job—I just have had a hard time feeling like a person lately in the position based on the treatment of other people’s residents. My residents make me feel like almost everyday on the job is like Christmas!” –Sydney Triola, RA in Hamilton.

If you’re unsure of whether to apply as an RA, feel free to sit down and talk with your RA, who can also help answer any questions you might have! Check out this website that gives more details about what the position entails, as well as times to attend an info workshop. Applications are already available, so what are you waiting for? Check it out at the University of Vermont Residential Life website.