Sweet Home Alabama Reese Witherspoon
Sweet Home Alabama Reese Witherspoon
Touchstone Pictures Original Film

Reese Witherspoon Productions You Should Watch Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Dressed in all pink and a pair of Jimmy Choo’s, Reese Witherspoon inspired women around the world with her wit and brains in her 2001 film, Legally Blonde. Witherspoon has been a force in Hollywood since the early 90’s and has starred in over 50 films. In 2000, Witherspoon founded a production company, Type A Films, as she wanted to produce quality films for young women. After successfully producing films including Legally Blonde, the company merged with Bruna Papandreas’s, Make Movies to become a new production company, Pacific Standard in 2012. Together, Witherspoon and Papandrea produced Big Little Lies, and Oscar-nominated films, Gone Girl and Wild. 

In 2016, Witherspoon and Seth Rodsky founded Hello Sunshine, a media company that: “Puts women at the center of every story we create, celebrate and discover.” These stories are shared through film, television, podcasts and Reese’s Book Club. Times magazine named her one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2006 and 2015, and Forbes listed her as one of the world’s 100 most powerful women in 2019.  

Here are some movies and television produced by Reese Witherspoon that you should watch right now. 

Little Fires Everywhere 

Where to stream: Hulu

Little Fires Everywhere is a miniseries based on the 2017 novel by Celeste Ng. It follows two mothers from very different socioeconomic backgrounds, Elena Richardson and Mia Warren. The Richardson children become drawn to Mia and her daughter Pearl, each facing their own personal struggle. When friends of the Richardson’s adopt a Chinese-American baby, a custody battle puts Elena and Mia on opposing sides. Elena, suspicious of Mia and her motives, is determined to discover Mia’s mysterious past– but at what cost?

The Morning Show

Where to stream: Apple TV

Alex Levy is the anchor for The Morning Show, a popular morning news show in Manhattan. Alex’s on-air partner of 15 years is fired after a sexual misconduct scandal comes to light. Alex must fight to keep her job as the top anchor while dealing with the threat of a field reporter, Bradley Jackson.

Big Little Lies

Where to stream: HBO

Big Little Lies is based off of the book by Liane Moriarty. The series follows five women in Monterey, California, who all send their children to the same prestigious elementary school. Coming from different backgrounds of wealth, each mother is emotionally troubled. Telling small lies will connect the five women and eventually involve them in a murder investigation. 

Gone Girl

Where to stream: Hulu

Gone Girl is based on the novel by Gillian Flynn. On their fifth wedding Anniversary, Nick Dunne returns home to find his wife Amy is missing. Detectives find a poorly covered up struggle in the house and begin to think Nick is suspicious. Every wedding anniversary, Amy creates a treasure hunt for Nick– and this year is no different. 

Wild 

Where to stream: For purchase/rent only

Wild is based off of Cheryl Strayed’s 2012 memoir Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. The story follows Cheryl Strayed as she sets out to complete the Pacific Crest Trail by hiking and backpacking after she feels her life is in ruins. Strayed will reflect on her painful past, one she tried to patch up with sex and drugs. Her journey is one of self-discovery and healing. 

*Edited: Emily Day.

Payton is a sophomore studying Public Communications at the University of Vermont.
Hi, I'm Isabelle! I am a collaborative Public Communication and Community Entrepreneurship student at the University of Vermont. I am passionate about public relations within industries that give back to the world, and I enjoy writing and working with others.