My Life is GrUV: Turn Your Dorm From Drab to FAB

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

We all know dorms are not the ideal living arrangement but unfortunately, everyone has to experience the shoebox life sometime. As you first walk into a dorm you may want to run the other way and never look back, but once you begin unpacking and moving things around, you start to realize it’s not as bad as you thought. Here are some tips on how to make the best out of the shoebox life!

Add some color

This is important because when you are feeling a little homesick and its -11 degrees outside, those black sheets on your bed aren’t going to cheer you up. Instead opt for a warmer color, throw on some accent pillows, hang curtains, or get a cozy rug. 

Great and inexpensive places to shop are Wal-Mart, Marshalls/ TJ Maxx and even the dollar store. All these little things will bring a little cheer your tiny room.

Re-arrange furniture

Most dorms have all the furniture spread out everywhere when you first walk in. Move it around! Trust me, you do not want your closet door an inch from the wall. My advice would be to put everything around the perimeters of the room, and don’t have things peeking out because it makes the room look smaller.

Get crafty

Yes “crafternoons” (crafty afternoons) are not just for toddlers! There are so many things you can make yourself that can make your room look amazing. Paint a canvas with your favorite quote or a flower or even just splatter paint all over it. Paint mason jars (always found around campus) and use them to hold pens or make up brushes or even hair ties. 

You could print out pictures of you and your friends and family and hang them up in your room (my favorite site is Snapfish, it’s good quality and inexpensive, perfect for college kids). All these things will bring personality into your room.

Christmas lights are not just for a tree!

One of my favorite things is hanging Christmas lights and you can find these basically everywhere. Amazon is good and also the Christmas Tree Shop because they are very inexpensive there. Get a few command hooks and hang the lights around your room. They will instantly make your room feel glamorous and help with the poor lighting situation.

Purchase some Wallflowers/ candles/ room sprays

I love a good smelling room and when you don’t have your mom making freshly baked cookies for you, you need to improvise. My favorite is the Bath and Body Works wallflowers. You pick your favorite holder, pick your favorite scented bulb and just plug it into the wall, then BAM instant difference. No more old wooden cabinet, or smelly sock smell. You now have a room smelling like apples, cookies, or even lavender.

The pictures featured in this article are real examples from my room here on campus, so it’s really not that hard to do! I made all the pillows and bed spread, as well as painting the mason jars shown above. It just goes to show how a little effort can make your whole room from drab to fab!