My Life is GrUV: Top 10 VT fall activities!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Fall is a beautiful season in Vermont. Who doesn’t love the boots, sweaters, scarves and colorful sunsets with wonderful autumn foliage? We have found the top 10 things to do this fall here in Vermont and you’re about to get the inside scoop!

1) Vermont is a great place to adventure, but don’t forget about our beloved UVM. Campus is a great place to find events and things to do! This fall is a perfect time for pictures and relaxation. Whether you’re sitting on the Green or at the top of the Williams Hall fire escape, you’ll be sure to enjoy a perfect fall day.

2) Even though it’s coming to the end of harvest season, downtown Burlington’s Farmers’ Market is still occurring until the end of October. This farmers’ market has a great variety of foods and products that are grown and produced locally. It’s a great opportunity to support the community. On October 5th through the 13th, Burlington’s Farmer’s Market will also be featured in the Harvest Celebration.

3) If you’re up for a little getaway this fall, you can attend the traditional Gaines Farm Corn Maze and Fall Events in Guilford, VT. This highly suggested maze is great for all ages. From the 7 acre maze of 10 foot corn stalk, to the horse drawn wagon tours, it doesn’t get much more fall-like than this.

4) Take a trip to the Shelburne Museum and go back in time! The museum has finished their latest addition recently and it would be great to know how it turned out. If you are really into the history of the area and art, then this activity is a must for fall.

5) Let’s make things interesting. It’s a great time walking along the waterfront, breathing in the crisp New England air… now try that on a Segway! Burlington Segways offers fun adventures for all enthusiasts who want to test their balance and driving skills- watch out!

6) Apple picking and cider donuts are the highlight to my fall season. This tradition is fun for all, and yummy. Thanks to Johnny Appleseed, we can enjoy these treats. Shelburne Farms and Champlain Orchards are a great place to get apples, cider, and cider donuts. This is definitely a must for the fall season.

7) With October finally here, we can now get ready for Halloween! The Haunted Forest in Williston, VT is a theatrical performance in the Catamount Family Center woods. This event sells tickets to over 6,000 people every year, and it’s the largest, most popular outdoor performance in Vermont. This event occurs throughout October.

8) November is a great fall month for giving. The 37th annual Green Mountain Athletics Association presents the Turkey Trot 5k in Burlington. This race is all to help benefit the Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf. 

9) Calling all leaf-peepers! The fall foliage here is beautiful, and it’s one of Vermont’s biggest tourist attractions. Some great hiking trails and views of the foliage this year are going to be in Stowe, Smugglers Notch State Park, Camels Hump, and the Burlington Bike Path is another great place to see some wonderful views, on foot or on a bike, whichever you prefer.

10) With autumn slowly transitioning from summer, we’re now going from the deliciously chilly creamee to cozy hot cocoa. Visit Lake Champlain Chocolates for a wonderful cup of Vermont hot chocolate. Now go take your warm drink and have a nice stroll down to the waterfront to watch the sunset. This can even be a romantic date for a couple, or a relaxing break with your study group. 

This list is only some of the many adventures to make this fall season in the Vermont area. Make sure to take time to yourself and with friends to enjoy the scenery and the weather before the chills of winter creep upon us.