My Life is GrUV: Recipes for Leftover Halloween Candy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

When the excitement of Halloween blows over and the costumes, decorations, and pumpkins are put away, there’s always one thing that lingers… the candy. Everyone collects buckets full of sweets during the hype of Halloween, then we often find ourselves wanting to get rid of it to save ourselves from the calories, acne and cavities. Looking for a way to finish off the rest of those M&M’s and candy corn? Here are some great recipes to help you do it:

Halloween Candy Bark

Ingredients

• 7 rectangular graham cracker sheets
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • At least 2 cups of Halloween candies such as miniature candy bars like Snickers or Kit Kats, M&Ms, chocolate-covered nuts, and other chocolate-based candies. Gummy candies are not recommended.

Preparation

1. Prepare a 9×9 pan by lining it with aluminum foil.
  2. Place the graham crackers in a single layer on the bottom of the pan, breaking them up if necessary to get them to fit.
  3. Coarsely chop up the candy bars until they are in 1/2-inch pieces. Some candies might crumble, which is okay. Smaller candies, like M&Ms, can be kept whole.
  4. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and the sweetened condensed milk. Microwave them together in 30-second increments, stirring after every 30 seconds, until your chocolate mixture is smooth, thick, and fudgy.
  5. Scrape the chocolate onto the graham crackers and smooth it into an even layer.
  6. Quickly, before the chocolate starts to set, sprinkle your chopped Halloween candies on top of the fudge layer and press them gently into the fudge to get them to adhere.
  7. Refrigerate the bark until the fudge is completely set, about 1 hour. Once set, remove the bark from the pan using the foil as handles.
  8. Cut or break the bark up into small pieces to serve.

Candy Corn Popcorn Balls

Ingredients

• 1/2 stick (2 ounces) butter
  • 4 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 1 bag plain popped popcorn (12 cups popped)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1-1/2 cups candy corn (or any other small candy)

Preparation

1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Place the popped popcorn and the candy corn in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
  3. Put the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30-45 seconds to melt it. Add the marshmallows, and microwave for an additional 90 seconds to melt them. The marshmallows might not look melted at the end of this time, but once you stir them, they should liquefy. Stir to blend the butter and marshmallows, then add the vanilla and salt and stir until the candy is well-mixed.
  4. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and candy corn, and stir until they are thoroughly combined. Allow the mixture to sit for a minute, to cool down the hot marshmallow.
  5. Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray, and scoop up a handful of popcorn. Press it firmly between your hands, forming a ball shape. Make sure that the balls are compact; loosely formed popcorn balls easily fall apart. If the balls don’t form at first, allow the mixture to sit for another minute, this seems to help them hold together.
  6. Place the popcorn balls on the prepared baking sheet and allow them to firm up at room temperature.

Peanut Butter Cereal Bars

Ingredients

• 30 large marshmallows
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 6 cups Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch
  • 1-1/2 cups milk chocolate M&M’s® Brand Chocolate Candies

Preparation

1. In a large saucepan, combine the marshmallows, butter and peanut butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from the heat then stir in the cereal and M&M’s.
  2. Pat into a 13-in. x 9-in. pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.

All of these recipes are super easy and can be made in the comfort of your own dorm. Happy baking!

Photo Credit: All photos can be found on the websites linked to the recipe titles.