My Life is GrUV: Best Brunch Spots in Burlington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

t’s the end of the semester, and no surprise, you ran out of points weeks ago. After you use the remaining $0.38 on your meal plan, you may as well spend your real money somewhere other than Sodexo dining, like one of Burlington’s best brunch spots. What better excuse for an extended study break this finals week than one last meal out with your friends? Here are five of the best places for brunch in Burlington.

1.     Penny Cluse Café: If you haven’t checked out Penny Cluse yet, it is long overdue. This is one of the most famous brunch spots in Burlington, and for good reason. They have an extensive breakfast and lunch menu, with plenty of unique options, and every dish is absolutely delicious. On top of the amazing food, Penny Cluse also supports local artists by featuring their art with new collections monthly. The great food and atmosphere both make Penny Cluse an important brunch stop to visit at least once before graduation. Heads up though, if you go at a popular time expect a wait. This place is always packed!

2.     Magnolia Bistro: This slightly hidden restaurant not only serves amazing food, but also does so while being able to accommodate both vegan and gluten free diners. Their focus on local and seasonal ingredients helps set them apart from other restaurants, as do their fresh and delicious offerings. One must have while here is their homemade seasonal bread, nothing will ever compare to this fresh warm starter.

3.     Henry’s Diner: This diner on Bank street is the perfect spot for brunch downtown after a late night out. Henry’s offers all of the typical diner options, but featuring farm fresh eggs and taking diner fare to the next level. My personal favorite here is their veggie skillet. The massive skillet is filled with an assortment of vegetables, home fries, cheese, and eggs, and it is just what I need on a Sunday morning. While Henry’s can get busy during peak weekend hours, there is often a seat at the counter, and it is rare for the wait to take too long.

4.     Maglianero Café: If a hand crafted latte and homemade muffin is more what you are hoping for, Maglianero is the best brunch option for you. Located at the bottom of Maple Street, this café is an ideal location for when you are looking to get some work done while enjoying a good meal. The industrious space is always filled with creative people, and the café offers indoor bike parking and free wifi as some of its perks. Whether you are meeting up with friends, or need a working brunch, Maglianero is hands down Burlington’s best coffee shop to do it in.

5.     Skinny Pancake: Last, but not least, Skinny Pancake is another great option for brunch downtown. The mission at Skinny Pancake is to be as local and sustainable as possible, and they commit to this goal while serving an amazing range of crepes. From breakfast crepes, to sweet to savory, Skinny Pancake has them all, and it’s not just crepes. They also offer salads, soups, paninis, and various appetizers, insuring that there is an option for everyone. Their Burlington location is right by the waterfront and has an outdoor patio, plenty of indoor seating, and also has a performance stage. While it can get busy, especially in the summer with lines out the door, you can almost always find a seat, and no matter what, it is worth the wait.

You are nearing the light at the end of the tunnel that is finals week, and once you reach it, treat yourself to a celebratory brunch before you go home to enjoy a month of freedom. If you haven’t yet checked out the places on this list, be sure to do so, you’re missing out.

Currently a Sophomore at the University of Vermont studying Dietetics, Nutrition and Food Science, with a minor in Spanish.