This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

The saying “April showers, bring May flowers” has been in full effect, proving the saying correct entirely. For the past week, I believe that it has rained and been cloudy more than it has been sunny. And as one who feels like my mood directly correlates to the weather outside, it’s safe to say that my mood has felt gloomy recently. 

I could be the one and only person to say this, but I truthfully do not enjoy spring. In my opinion, this time of the year is tied to an overwhelming amount of pressure since it is the end of the school year, and that means finals are soon and course registration is around the corner. 

So, not only will I be pessimistic about school in the spring, but the weather is always nasty and the blooming flowers make my sinuses go into a frenzy.

As a result, I feel like it is only appropriate to change the saying “April showers, bring May flowers” to “April showers, bring stress to college students and painful seasonal allergies!” Yes, I am aware that it does not rhyme, but sometimes the point of the saying is more important than the elegance it has when said aloud. 

The scary reality that the semester is over in five weeks has caused me to feel overwhelmed with the fact that I have slightly over a month to work as hard as I can to end the semester off on a good note. And the more I think about this, the more I wonder how that is possible when I wake up everyday and see the sun buried behind the clouds and water pouring down from the sky. Even more-so, over the next 2-3 weeks as the weather gets warmer, I will not be able to open my eyes, breath out of my nose, and not get painful headaches all due to the powdery substance called pollen. 

So the thought of sitting under a tree finishing a paper that I need to write or studying for an exam sounds more unappealing than locking myself in a study room and forcing myself to get my assignments done. 

Don’t get me wrong though, five weeks will fly by, the gloomy weather that we are experiencing will vanish, but until then I will constantly state that I do not like spring. But also, I do not think spring likes me because we never seem to get along. It is always the time of the year where I find myself the most anxious, overwhelmed, and as drastic as this may sound, miserable

Summer is around the corner and I could not be more excited. But in the meantime, I need to fight against spring and not get defeated. I have a lot of work ahead of me and I refuse to stand down. With all of this, it can be concluded that I have an underlying level of beef with the month of April.

With love,

Sierra 

**Edited by: Amanda Hutson

Hi! I'm Sierra Byrne and I am the current Campus Coordinator for Her Campus at the University of Vermont! I am a Senior studying Public Health Sciences in hopes of becoming a Physician Assistant! I have always had a passion for journalism and have been writing for Her Campus since I was a first year. I hope you enjoy reading my articles and be sure to check out some of our other amazing writers who are apart of HCUVM!