The Lalaearl Gray Latte And Edible Flowers
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Something is in the air this week. I am having a hard time. So many of my friends are having a hard time. To get through the day, I force myself to think about all the teeny tiny little moments I usually miss when my head is focused on deadlines, relationship issues, or rumination.

And no, I’m not talking about grand gestures. The person of your dreams throwing pebbles at the window of your apartment as you sit in bed staring at your camera roll (we’re trying to get social media screen-time down), roses in their hands. I’m not talking about running off into the sunset or having a perfect day every day. Sure, those are all beautiful, wonderful moments, so if it happens to you, let me know. I’m talking about the small moments. February is hard. But good exists everywhere. Sometimes you need a little push to really see it. To get you started on your newfound joy in the small moments, here is a list of the moments I have come to love and cherish.

1. Walking into your favorite coffee shop and one seat is available (bonus points if it is by a charger or a window, or away from the trash).
  2. Seeing a dog in the street.
  3. Seeing a friend somewhere unexpectedly.
  4. When you are laughing with a friend and you both keep adding to the joke.
  5. Laughing somewhere you aren’t supposed to be laughing.
  6. When you do something you aren’t supposed to but you don’t get caught.
  7. The number of different light fixtures that exist, and how they create such variety in
    making light look beautiful.
  8. When you hear your favorite song in the supermarket.
  9. When you are doodling on paper and your drawing actually looks really cool.
  10. When you see an acquaintance and you feel unsure if you should say hi or not, but they
    end up making eye contact and saying hello.
  11. When you get a good grade on something you worked really hard on.
  12. How happy the color yellow is.
  13. These: :), :/, :0
  14. When you know someone is having a hard time and then you see then genuinely smile
    or laugh.
  15. Watching someone else receive a compliment and their face lights up and you can tell it
    meant a lot.
  16. Checking something off your to-list.
  17. When a restaurant has those tiny little containers of jelly.
  18. Sitting in a really soft chair.
  19. Patterns.
  20. Coming across a giant, weird looking tree.
  21. Watching little kids get excited over really simple things.
  22. A room full of plants.
  23. Seeing someone wear something that you have never seen before and it looks really
    awesome and you get inspired.
  24. A good handshake.
  25. Medicine.
  26. The way even twins have differences in their faces, and realizing we all have the same facial features but they all are different combinations and shapes.
  27. A sharp pencil.
  28. When a stain comes out of your clothes.
  29. When the dishwasher is empty.
  30. The way water feels and the way liquid takes the shape of any container different than a
    solid.
  31. Getting a letter in the mail.
  32. Palindromes.
  33. The way soap lathers and feels so soft.
  34. The fact that everyone you see is someone else’s most important person.
  35. The way puddles form over time.
  36. The way you can know how old a tree is based on the number of rings (tell me that isn’t
    the coolest thing ever).
  37. The feeling of stretching in the morning when you wake up.
  38. When you type without looking and make no typos.
  39. When you can’t think of a word and someone helps you figure it out.
  40. Doing a math problem and finally understanding how to get the answer.
  41. Seeing a rainbow.
  42. When you are talking on the phone and play with random things around you or lie on
    the ground or sit upside down.
  43. Watching those funny old newscasts about the dangers of hidden emoji meanings.
  44. Texting someone and they respond immediately.
  45. When you drop a piece of food and when you pick it up there is nothing on it so it’s
    obviously still good (Hey! You’re straight up lying if you’ve never done that).
  46. When the professor calls on you in class.
  47. When the professor doesn’t call on you in class.
  48. The fact that printers exist.
  49. The fact that you can call anyone from anywhere at any time.
  50. Google.
  51. The way we have buildings and structures that can hold so much weight.
  52. The look and feel of a wood floor.
  53. When you get to the ocean and can smell the salt.
  54. Going into a body of water after being extremely hot.
  55. A pair of pants that fit perfectly.
  56. The feel of a little bunny.
  57. Remote controls.
  58. When a dog comes and hangs out with you in a group of people.
  59. How shiny metal can be.
  60. The way some colors just look so perfect together.
  61. How you can meet someone anywhere.
  62. The fact that if you called out for help in the middle of a street, someone would
    probably help you.
  63. Cleaning out dirt from underneath your fingernails.
  64. Getting a card.
  65. The way everyone’s handwriting is different.
  66. Being loopy and delirious when you are so tired.
  67. The way flowers are composed of little petals that are smaller than your palm or
    sometimes fingertips.
  68. When you hear a really good song that makes you nod your head.
  69. Going to a concert and hearing everyone sing along.
  70. Making food and eating it.
  71. The way everything has a different smell.
  72. Eyelashes and how they protect our eyes and also look beautiful.
  73. The smell of snow.

WHEW. But it feels good doesn’t it? If you are having a hard time, know that this list is the love in my heart being sent to your heart. For me, it felt so good to write these down, and it was fun to get some of my friends involved. It put a smile on their faces, too. There is good everywhere you look. Whenever you feel as though the sun might never set and the day will never end, look to the tiny little moments around you anywhere. At the gas station. At the bus stop. At the waterfront. In a classroom. In your bedroom. Whatever moment you find yourself in, I hope you feel the warmth.

**Edited by: Phoebe Cousens

Natalie is a UVM student from Shelburne, Vermont. Natalie loves to write, create art, hang out with friends, and works at Kru Coffee in downtown Burlington.