Hiking Shoes Boots Mountains View Adventure Climb Fun Original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Life as a Vermonter — Coming from a Midwesterner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

I would certainly consider myself a minority here at UVM…indeed, I am not from ‘thirty minutes outside of Boston’. Oddly enough, I am from Omaha. Commonly confused with Oklahoma or Ohio, Omaha is in, gasp, Nebraska. By now, I am quite used to people asking me “How did you end up all the way here?” The answer is quite obvious: by tractor, duh. Despite Omaha being known for hosting the College World Series, Warren Buffett, and of course its abundance of corn, I am often flooded with many inquisitive questions. Conversely, I get similar reactions when I tell Nebraskans that I go to school in Vermont.

Naturally, I have picked up on great variance between the two states. So, without further ado, here is what I have learned living in Vermont:

wLhy9U3PFr

Yerba Mate

Yerbs Everywhere:

I had never seen, heard, touched, tasted, or smelt the renowned Yerba Mate before coming to UVM. I quickly learned that UVM-ers drink a shit ton of them. In fact, CAT Pause, our convenience store on campus, was named the 4th biggest Guayakí retailer in the country. I was too stubborn to try one until a few weeks ago, and I can confirm Yerba Mates are pretty good. It’s the first caffeinated beverage that has managed to keep me somewhat awake through my MWF 12 PM lecture. So, I’ll give it credit for that.

Chicken Tenders

Fast Food Deprived:

Nebraska is the 2nd leading state with the most fast-food restaurants per capita. Unsurprisingly, Vermont has the least. Since coming to Vermont, as you can imagine, I feel quite unsatisfied with my lack of chicken finger consumption–quality fried chicken is hard to come by here in Vermont (recommendations appreciated). Now, this is probably extremely beneficial to my health, so I am not necessarily deeming this a bad thing. Especially since it shows Vermont’s pride towards local businesses, and I love that.

Source

Green Living:

Vermont is THE green state in many regards––the Green Mountains, sustainable living, as well as the popularity of a particularly perfumed plant. Consequently, Vermont is considered by many sources the most eco-friendly state in the U.S. It really didn’t take much time for me to adapt some subtle and sustainable habits commonly seen by Vermonters. Vermont has managed a plastic bag ban, successful renewable energy efforts, as well as the outlawing of billboards with the intent of preserving the state’s natural charm. Nebraska on the other hand—a state that seems to lack much environmental consciousness—differs greatly in this sense. Returning home for break, I found myself a bit disturbed at the all so customary and ubiquitous distribution of plastic bags. Although I am far from perfect at maintaining sustainable habits, I am taking measures (by only using plastic straws for my Dunkin’) to show my respect for the unrivaled greenness of Vermont.

9DImSURnYTzdlXvuDGPHSIwifX cAzJgCdskKOc9aOzgBv7rQwb8mO4Ku7fGC

Source

Embracing the Outdoors:

Come rain, shine, or squall, the people of Vermont never fail to take advantage of the outdoors. Hiking and hammocking amid the warmth, while skiing and snowboarding prevail in the winter. Thus, it comes as little surprise that the UVM Ski and Snowboarding Club as well as the Outing Club are among the most popular activities on campus. I admit, having lived in Vermont for several months now, the outdoorsy atmosphere has even rubbed off on me. For instance, the other night, instead of watching Love Island and doing crossword puzzles from the comfort of my bed, I acted on my inner-Vermont self by going outside, setting up my never-used hammock, and drinking a pint of maple syrup…kidding, I had a quesadilla, but you get the idea.

tT3y44ZWnsJFUjsjhmCET1aqTG8TVYFs8KdZharoYUTh0bx8kQtMHj8nwpjOwsmkzol

Source

A Vermont Fall is Unmatched:

Every fall, a considerable number of tourists travel to Vermont to leaf-peep and admire the picturesque Vermont foliage. From apple picking and (highly addictive) cider donuts to pumpkin patches and the largest corn maze in New England, there is much to do during a vibrant Vermont fall. My favorite part of all, however, probably had to be my daily walks, as they promised me crisp fresh air, a view of the beautifully colored trees, and of course, an excuse to buy an iced coffee. Nonetheless, I look forward to my next Vermont fall. Apple cider donuts, watch out.

Of all, the most difficult part of my transition from Nebraska to Vermont was probably my chicken finger withdrawal (I miss you, Cane’s). Aside from that, my prior skepticism of the outlandish state of Vermont has diminished as I have grown to appreciate its perks and pride. 

By immersing myself in the Vermontonian lifestyle, I have learned lots, which in turn has led me to become eager to explore other, even more, outlandish cultures. That being said, I am beyond pleased with my decision to attend school in (sigh, chicken finger lacking) Vermont.

Yours Sincerely,

Isabella

**Edited by Jane Sanders

Hello! My name is Isabella and I am a sophomore at the University of Vermont. I enjoy eating sushi, attending cycling classes, and doing crossword puzzles!