Lexi Hanks & The Ski and Snowboard Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

What year and major are you? Are you from out of state?

I am a Senior Political Science major with a minor in Latin American Studies. I am from Gettysburg, PA.

When did you join the Ski and Snowboard club and why were you interested?

I joined UVMSSC as a member at my very own Freshman Picnic in 2011. Wanting to become more involved, I applied for an intern position my sophomore year. Not getting the job, I applied for Secretary and then landed this gig at the end of my sophomore year! I was originally interested in joining because I chose UVM due to its status as a top “ski school”, so what better way to get involved in the ski community at UVM than through the biggest and raddest club on campus?

Do you ski or ride?

I ski!

The Ski and Snowboard club is big! Have you enjoyed your management role as Secretary so far? What is your role and are there challenges?

Yea, we’re big! I LOVE my role as Secretary, and I become pretty sad when I think about this year being my last. My primary roles include managing memberships, writing and sending the weekly newsletter, responding to emails, and more. My favorite part of being Secretary is having a flexible enough position that I am able to help out with whatever important event or thing we have going on at the moment. The only challenge I find in being Secretary is that I always want to attend EVERYTHING we have going on, so it can be difficult to manage UVMSSC tasks, events, school work, and everything else I’m involved in.

You guys score some great pass deals for us, what are some of them for the upcoming year?

This year we are selling passes to the following mountains at the listed prices (and don’t forget that after becoming a member you have access to a bus every Saturday & Sunday in the Spring to each mountain!):

Stowe $380Threesome (Sugarbush + Mt. Ellen + Mad River Glen) $359—Sugarbush Only $319—Mt. Ellen Only $219Jay Peak $199Smuggler’s Notch $199Bolton Valley $159

I know there is a big trip you guys put on in the winter, what are the plans for this year, if you can say?

We are stoked to announce that we are headed back to Jackson Hole, WY! A club tradition, this will be our 11th year at Jackson Hole. Jackson Hole is a sick mountain known for its incomparable natural terrain, backcountry access, and steeps. There’s always a ton of snow and this trip never disappoints! The price is a little over $1000 but includes all of the following:

-6 nights lodging at Snow King Resort, in Condominiums-5 day lift ticket valid at Jackson Hole-Complimentary airport transportation in Jackson-Complimentary public bus transportation to/from Teton Village-Night Skiing available-Organized social events including parties with music and on mountain competitions-24 hour on location staff-All taxes, credit card and resort fees

Inevitably, all of these trip features are going to make for an unforgettable Winter Break trip!

What is your absolute favorite part about being in the club?

My absolute favorite part about being in the club is meeting and getting to spend time with likeminded people who all share a common passion. The ski community is really like a big family—whether it’s club officers, who are some of my closest friends, or a first year stoked on signing up for the club, there’s never any room for negativity because everyone is just so excited on one thing we all share: our love for the mountains, snow, and winter sports!

What would you say to incoming first years who are looking to get involved in the club?

The first step is joining the club! It’s $20 to join and you get TONS of benefits of being a member, like busses, discounts, and a SICK tee shirt! The club membership also gives you access to all of our on campus events, so if you want to become more involved with the club and possibly become an officer, be sure to attend all the events you can! You’ll get to know the officers and the club by attending events. But most importantly, don’t be shy and put yourself out there; we wanna get to know you!

Junior at the University of Vermont