La La Land Has Consumed Me and I’m Not Ashamed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Over winter break, I saw the cinematic masterpiece that is La La Land, mostly because Ryan Gosling is a total dreamboat (did I just say dreamboat?), but also because the rest of the world was raving about it.  I was entranced throughout the entire two hours and eight minutes, but I’ll admit that when I strolled out of the theater, I wasn’t sure how I felt about it.  How could Sebastian and Mia not end up together?  I was, admittedly, pretty devastated, but it wasn’t until I went home and thought about it more that I realized, this movie.  Is.  Everything.  I mean really, it has consumed my soul.

Sebastian and Mia’s love story was definitely one for the books.  The two found each other living in Los Angeles, both trying to make it in the entertainment industry–  Sebastian, an aspiring jazz musician, and Mia, an aspiring actress.  One thing I really loved about this film is that Sebastian and Mia not only loved each other dearly, but they also inspired one another to set higher goals and achieve them.  At one point in the film, Sebastian joins a jazz band, despite the fact that they aren’t really producing music he is passionate about.  Mia confronts him about this, and this causes an argument.  Eventually, however, Sebastian leaves the band because he knows it didn’t make him happy.  I think the best kind of love is where each person encourages the other to do better, and that’s exactly what Sebastian and Mia did.  By seeing the other chase their dream, Sebastian and Mia strived to achieve more than they had before.  Can I also just say that the both of them had impeccable style?  As if they weren’t perfect enough, now they have better wardrobes than the rest of us.

After listening to the soundtrack roughly five hundred times, I remembered a beautiful quote that my beloved high school Latin teacher, Mr. Pfeiffer, shared with my class junior year: “Some people are meant to be in your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.”  And then it dawned on me: although Sebastian and Mia did not end up together in the end, they were They inspired each other to create, and I think that’s probably the most important takeaway from this movie; Sebastian ended up opening his own jazz club, and Mia became a famous actress.  I feel that even though this film didn’t end the way most people wanted, it really emulates real life situations and that makes it all the more relatable.

So, if I could sum up La La Land in three points, I would say that first of all, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone should just be the stars of every movie, ever.  Next, it’s important to connect with people who inspire you to do better.  There’s nothing worse than feeling like you’ve reached a plateau in life.  You should always surround yourself with people who want you to achieve higher, more complex dreams, whether it be platonically or romantically.  Lastly, sometimes the greatest things in life are only temporary.  Sebastian and Mia gave each other the world, but occasionally, it isn’t meant to be.  In the words of Mr. Pfeiffer, some people are meant to be in your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.  If they aren’t in your life forever, then they served their purpose, and sometimes, that’s more beautiful in the end.

Jenna Toth is a second year student at the University of Vermont, majoring in public communication. Jenna is no stranger to the world of writing-- her grandfather, Owen Canfield, is a former sports writer for the Hartford Courant in Connecticut. She considers him one of her biggest inspirations when it comes to writing. During her downtime, Jenna enjoys long walks to the fridge, playing songs on her ukulele, and cuddling with her black lab, Oliver. If you'd like to read more of Jenna's personal work or learn more about her, check out her social media: Twitter: https://twitter.com/jennalouisetoth Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jennatoth/ Tumblr: https://jennalouisetoth.tumblr.com/
I'm Emma, an 18 year old figure skater and artist from the Boston Area. I am a first year student at the University of Vermont majoring in Studio Art and Psychological Sciences as part of the Integrated Fine Art's Deans program, while participating in Hillel, and The UVM Figure Skating Club as a member of the UVM Synchronized Figure Skating Team as well as the Ice Cats performance team. I am the Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus UVM Chapter and also the Campus Correspondent. I am passionate about fashion, writing, feminism, beauty, living green, and travelling. I believe in being confidently beautiful and empowering women to feel the same!