Journaling 101: 5 Prompts to Get You Started

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

“Dear Diary…” 

Journaling is an integral part of my life. It helps me clear my mind, understand my emotions, and dream up new ideas & goals. I carry my journal with me nearly everywhere I go in case inspiration strikes. 

I haven’t always been this way. In fact, I used to despise journaling. I felt the need to keep a perfect and aesthetically pleasing bullet-journal-habit-tracker-planner. While this method may work well for some, I found it to be a practice that I could never keep up with. It wasn’t until quarantine struck that I started reaching for my journal more often. After nearly two years of journaling, I have come up with several go-to prompts for when I’m feeling stuck, anxious, or just don’t know what to write about. 

1. The Brain Dump 

The Brain Dump” is the first prompt that really got me into journaling. It’s as simple as it sounds: make a list of everything that is on your mind– from friend drama to a song that’s been stuck in your head. Allow this list to be messy and out of order. This is your time to let go of everything that is taking up space in your mind. 

2. Symbols of… 

This prompt is one of my favorites. It’s a list of the symbols that made up a certain time of your life. I like to do this one whenever I feel as though a chapter of my life is coming to a close. It could be “Symbols of first Semester” or “Symbols of Summer 2022.” For me, this list often consists of songs or podcasts I have on repeat, items in my day-to-day that I use frequently, routes I take to walk to class, or an outfit combination that I am loving. This prompt is super cool to look back on. I feel as though it serves as a time capsule of my daily life. 

3. The Bucket List

The Bucket List” is a term we tend to throw around a lot. We use it as a category for our long-term goals and our what if’s. But have you ever written down your bucket list in a physical form? There is something special about having your long-term dreams and ambitions in a tangible form. From your dream vacation to Greece to your med school acceptance: what are you working towards? To take this a step further, try writing down baby steps that you can take to help you reach those goals.

4. One year from Today 

For this prompt, imagine yourself one year from today. What are you doing? What does your daily life look like? What are you working towards? Who do you surround yourself with? You may have seen this prompt on TikTok, and I believe that it is popular for a reason. It’s a creative form of manifesting and goal-setting that works well for a lot of people. Even if manifestation is not your thing, I encourage you to give this prompt a try. You might gain some clarity on your goals for the next year. 

5. Stream of Consciousness 

I view this prompt as a step up from “The Brain Dump.” The main difference is that rather than a list, it’s a written stream of consciousness. I start by writing down something on my mind, then just letting the pen flow across the page. I find it to be perfect for times when I have a lot on my mind and I just want to get it out on paper. Writing down everything that’s on your mind can feel freeing, but it can also  be overwhelming. It sometimes helps me to set a timer for 5 or 10 minutes to just write anything that comes up. With this prompt (and every prompt)  make sure to give yourself grace, and try not to judge anything that you feel the need to write down.

Hi! My name is Ella Farrell and I am a third-year student at UVM. I'm majoring in Public Communications with a concentration in Community Media & Journalism. I write about mental health, food, travel, and pop culture.