This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

What are some of your responsibilities as President of IRA?

Every week varies to a certain extent but I hold office hours in WDW weekly, answer an unreal amount of emails/phone calls, plan our executive board and general body meetings, run those meetings, attend Hall Council meetings, book our events/programs, update our social media and have meetings (Dining Services, SGA Cabinet, Board of Trustees Student Selection Committee, regional/national RHA President etc.). In total each week it’s between 16-20 hours of time spent with IRA affiliated things. I’m the spokesperson for all students who live in the residence halls so I listen wholeheartedly and speak when necessary.

What inspired you to run for this position?

My first year here I was an IRA rep for UHN. I enjoyed being on IRA and representing my hall, but even more so planning meaningful events and providing opportunities to bring my residence hall community together. I feel accomplished when I’ve worked hard to improve my surroundings and people can recognize it. It came to spring of 2011 and the advisors at the time as well as some of the executive board members and my ARD encouraged me to run. I ran unopposed and got the position (same case when I went up for reelection) but had viral social media campaigns to get votes anyway.

What sort of fun events can we look forward to for the rest of this semester?

From IRA, we’ll be hosting our classic Grocery Bingo event Wed. 11/6, 6-7:15PM in the DC Silver Maple Ballroom, a De-Stresser Event in Living Well (Wed. 11/13, 12-3PM) and lastly an “Invisible Race” social justice week where we focus on white privilege and racism on campus. We’re doing a “Privilege Bake-Away” Mon. and “Hugs/Kisses & Diversity Cookies” Wed. 11/18 & 11/20 DC Atrium 11AM-1: 30PM. This all leads up to our big event with SGA, “Invisible Race: Debunking Whiteness”, Wed. 11/20 6-7:30PM DC Silver Maple, where we’ll play some games, participate in activities, and learn how pervasive racism is, how we see it on campus, and what we can do to normalize race.

What other activities are you involved in on campus?

I’m in a fraternity and serve as their VP of Administration (secretary/historian). I’m a co-host on UVMtv’s celebrity/Hollywood news and pop culture show “Dirty Pop.” I’m a member of Allied Faces (an anti-racism group focusing on promoting white ally-ship) and MAPS (minority association of pre-medical students). I hope that’s it.

You also write a popular blog called “The Youthful Life: Goes College”. Why did you decide to start this?

I started “The Youthful Life: Goes College” December 2010 (halfway through my senior year of high school) as a venue to give advice to teenagers based on my personal life experiences. When I came to UVM, my blog became a written account of my time here and, in its purest form, who I am as a person. Over the years it’s changed from advice to more self-evaluation and processing my experiences/actions (with a “moral of the story” kind of thing). It’s really cool because it’s my medium to express myself and also engage the world community. At the end of the day, whether anyone reads it or not, I have a thorough account of everything I’ve done/felt for the past nearly three years (521 posts and 182,000 views and counting).

What are your goals after graduating UVM?

After UVM I plan on either taking a year off and working for a non-profit organization as their social media intern before medical school, or going straight to medical school. I plan on becoming a neonatologist and directly helping people in their time of need with their newborn (also usually the happiest time in people’s lives). As a child of Ghanaian immigrant parents who became a doctor and a nurse respectively, and raised 5 kids (2 doctors and 3 more on their way to achieving their goals), I’ve been privileged to see what a difference you can make in a community once when you have the access to resources to do so. Alternatively I would pursue graduate school for journalism to become a reporter/news anchor (telling people’s stories), or higher education/student affairs and down the line work to become dean of students or a university president. Whatever my career path ends up being, I know it’ll somewhere I’m helping people one on one.

You’re such a positive role model and active member of the UVM community. Do you have any advice for those who might feel a little lost and/or are looking to get more involved on campus?

I would say that the attitude you bring to an experience (in this case college) determines that experience. In other words, be a little risky and do what a lot of students don’t do … get involved. Attend events that interest you, regardless of if anyone wants to go with you or not, and talk to people. It’s terrifying to be at a place where literally everyone is a stranger, but mustering up the courage to talk to someone is a big deal for most. Sooner or later you’ll find where you fit. Clubs and organizations are what have kept me at this university; the people who have the same interests as you are just waiting to meet you. It’s okay to be afraid to get out there, because when you do, you realize people are just as terrified as you are.