“I Hope You Like Feminist Rants Because That’s Kinda My Thing!”: The Ultimate Girl Boss Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

One of my favorite TV shows is New Girl and like Jessica Day once said, “I hope you like feminist rants because that’s kinda my thing.” I feel like I ground myself with a feminist ideology that I don’t need to be tied down in a relationship because I am a strong independent woman and can stand up for myself in all situations. I honestly think this has stemmed from my obsession with powerful female musical artists like Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, and Megan thee Stallion. For me, one of the best ways to feel empowered is when I listen to “girl boss” anthems to put a pep in my step and encourage myself to take on my day with positivity and confidence. Here, I have created the ultimate feminist god complex playlist to make ANYONE feel like the ultimate boss.

The Man, by Taylor Swift 

“I’m so sick of running as fast as I can / wondering if I’d get there quicker if I was a man”

Girls in the Hood, by Megan thee Stallion

“I’m a hot girl, I do hot shit / Spend his income on my outfit / I don’t text quick ‘cause I ain’t thirsty”

Sorry, by Beyoncé

“Stop interrupting my grinding / I ain’t thinking ‘bout you”

Woman, by Kesha

“I don’t need a man to be holding me too tight”

NASA, by Ariana Grande

“Keep me in your orbit and you know you’ll drag me under / You don’t wanna leave me, but I’m tryna self discover”

Money, by Cardi B

“I was born to flex / Diamonds on my neck / I like boardin’ jets, I like mornin’ sex / But nothing in this world that I like more than checks”

Man! I Feel Like a Woman, by Shania Twain

“No inhibitions, make no conditions / Get a little outta line / I ain’t gonna act politically correct / I only wanna have a good time”

Flawless Remix, by Beyoncé and Nicki Minaj

“My mama taught me good home training / My daddy taught me how to love my haters / My sister told me I should speak my mind / My man made me feel so God damn fine”

Motivation, by Normani 

“I’ma break you off, let me be your motivation”

Feeling Myself, by Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé

“Male or female, it makes no difference, I stop the world / World stop…. / Carry on”

Bitch Better Have My Money, by Rihanna

“I call the shots, shots, shots / Like bra, bra, bra / Pay me what you owe me, don’t act like you forgot”

WAP, by Cardi B and Megan thee Stallion

“I don’t cook, I don’t clean / But let me tell you, I got this ring”

9 to 5, by Dolly Parton

“Well you got dreams and you know they matter / be your own boss, climb your ladder”

Screwed, by Janelle Monae ft. Zoë Kravitz

“Everything is sex / Except sex which is power / You know power is just sex / Now ask yourself who’s screwing you”

Only Girl in the World, by Rihanna

“Like I’m the only one that’s in command / ‘Cause I’m the only who understands”

All the Good Girls Go to Hell, by Billie Eilish

“All the good girls go to hell / ‘Cause even God herself has enemies”

Mother’s Daughter, by Miley Cyrus

“Don’t fuck with my freedom / I came up to get me some / I’m nasty, I’m evil / Must be something in the water / Or that I’m my mother’s daughter.”

Independent Woman, by Destiny’s Child

“Try to control me, boy, you get dismissed”

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, by Cyndi Lauper

“When the working day is done / Oh girls, they want to have fun”

Truth Hurts, by Lizzo

“Yeah, I got boy problems, that’s the human in me / Bling bling, then I solve ’em, that’s the goddess in me”

These songs all have the ability to allow me to self-motivate and ultimately keep on task with a reminder that I am a powerful and strong woman. Sometimes it’s this little reminder that serves as a catalyst to having an amazing and productive day. For me, this is an issue I struggle with often, so I enjoy this tracklist as my own motivation and reason to continue to power through my day with confidence and stride. If there’s ever a day where you just don’t feel the best, these songs are guaranteed to remind you of the bad b!tch you truly are!

Edited by Emma Hoechner

Hi! I'm Emma Accardi and I'm a senior studying early childhood education minoring in special education. I love all things fashion, food and feminism but most importantly am a big Swiftie and Harry Styles stan!