How to Mentally Prepare Yourself for a Semester Abroad 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By: Ellie Korest 

If you are anything like me, staying in the same place for too long can make you a bit restless and in desperate need of a new adventure. Sometimes a week-long vacation can suffice, but something must be said about immersing yourself in a new country and culture for an entire semester. Moving to a foreign country for months at a time can be daunting to wrap your head around, but taking these small steps to ease your mind before departing can make your experience all the more enjoyable. 

1. Read and watch videos about the country or city you are staying in Personally, I have watched travel or study abroad vlogs on youtube to help me visualize what daily life abroad might look like. Questions you may want to research are 1) how walkable is the city, 2) what are the main modes of transportation, 3) what will the weather be like while you are there, and 4) will you face potential language barriers. It is important to also acquaint yourself with some cultural norms. For example, I learned that in Italy it is not custom to add a tip for your server when paying for a meal at a restaurant. They add that to your check and you can leave a small tip for exceptional service. Knowing small things like this may make you feel less out of place upon arrival. Also, it may help you make friends with some locals:) 

2. Ask your friends or peers for their abroad advice 

Hearing about your acquaintance’s personal experiences abroad may also help to ease your mind. If the person you are talking to went to the same city that you will be studying in, you can ask them what their favorite restaurants and activities in the city were. You can also ask them what their top favorite places they traveled to are and if they recommend going at the time in the semester they did. Hearing people’s unique experiences can give you insights on how to best approach planning your time abroad. For example, one of my dear friends studied in Barcelona for a semester and absolutely loved it. She suggested that a trip to the Canary Islands is a must. 

3. Make a list of the top places and sites you want to visit while abroad 

It is really common for those studying abroad to do weekend excursions every other week, if not every weekend. It can be overwhelming to think about how much you want to see and experience during your time and it is important to accept that you might not do everything you hope to. Or maybe you want to stay put in your host country and discover all it has to offer. With that being said, it could be helpful to pick your top priorities before leaving. With your travel goals in mind, it will be easier to coordinate a plan of action with friends you meet abroad or book your trips in advance. While abroad, if you have other friends in other countries, you may want to plan a visit to stay with them for a weekend to save on hotels or Airbnbs. 

4. Look over your class schedule and host universities campus

When I picture myself on my first day of classes abroad, I imagine myself aimlessly roaming around campus, looking for buildings that I cannot pronounce the name of and struggling to ask others for help. This may or may not be the case, however, it is important to remember that everyone in your program will be in the same boat and there are plenty of resources for guidance with the leaders of your program or your host university. Also, for UVM students going abroad, keep in mind that your classes are pass-fail. You will have some wiggle room to not put all your energy into school. Give yourself grace and time to adjust. I promise within a few weeks, what once felt so unknown, will be familiar and normal. 

5. Don’t overstress packing 

It seems nearly impossible to bring four months’ worth of clothes with me to a foreign country, especially when packing to be prepared for colder temperatures. A way to make it feel more manageable is by making choices based on what you wear the most and how functional the clothing item is. There is no need to pack ten different jackets when in reality you will probably only use one or two. Comfortable shoes are a must because regardless of where you are it is likely you will be doing a lot of walking. I also recommend bringing lots of basics that can make for versatile outfits. Although fashion can be a fun element of travel, it is not the primary purpose, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself. It is also important to consider that you are probably going to want to buy some new things while you are abroad. Who knows, maybe the local trends will inspire you to expand your personal style. 

Ultimately if you decide or plan on studying abroad you should be proud of yourself for wanting to try something new and stepping outside your comfort zone. As everyone says, it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have as a college student and it can enrich your academic career. Regardless of what challenges you may face or apprehensions you might have, you will leave abroad with great stories to share and a new appreciation for life. This kind of experience can bring more personal growth and self-confidence than imaginable.

*Edited by Paisley B

I am a current junior at the University of Vermont. My major is Environmental Studies and my minor is Studio Art. I enjoy almost all outdoor activities, traveling, eating good food, self-care, and spending time with friends and family!