EWC 3 Rep Imagejpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
EWC 3 Rep Imagejpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Halloween 2023: The Trends, Last Minute Looks, and Duos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By: Lila Simmons

It’s officially October. Fall is here-pumpkin pie, leaves falling, and most importantly Halloween. Personally, I start thinking about my costume(s) the minute October 1st arrives. I’ve always loved dressing up for the night, and paying attention to the details of my outfit. As the holiday is approaching fast, I’ve curated a list of some of the most pop-culturally influenced costumes, simple looks, and dynamic duos for this Halloween.  

Barbie is likely to be one of the most popular costumes this Halloween season. Following the blockbuster Barbie movie we’ve all seen and love, this is likely to be one of the most worn costumes this year. You can certainly expect to see different variations of the sassy“Cowboy Barbie” to the fun and expressive“Weird Barbie” this Halloween. 

Who doesn’t love Disney Princesses? With the release of the new Little Mermaid adaptation, Ariel is sure to be a major trend this Halloween. This costume is so fun to recreate as well, and can be done in many ways, depending on your personal style. 

Calling all Swifties. My gut is telling me people may be dressing as another blonde icon this season. Amidst the Eras Tour and Travis Kelce dating speculations, Taylor Swift has to be one of the most anticipated costumes this Halloween. The wide range of looks you could curate just from this one woman are insane. You could dress as “1989 Taylor”, coinciding with the release of “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” this month. You could even be “NFL (Taylor’s Version)”, sporting a simple outfit with a signature red lip and Chiefs enthusiasm. 

If you prefer to avoid the major trends this Halloween and want to dress up with a friend, I’ve got you covered. Below, I’ve listed some of the most anticipated dynamic duo costumes for the girls that are easy to recreate, and will be perfect for your Instagram feed.

Wendy and Tinker Bell– If you’re a Disney fan, you’re in the right place. This is a great option for a brunette and blonde duo. 

Velma and Daphne– Classic characters that are sure to be recognizable by everyone. 

Dorothy and Glinda – For the girly girls. Have fun with this one! It can also be interpreted in various ways.  

Serena and Blair– Gossip Girl fans unite. This iconic duo is perfect for halloween. 

Maddy and Cassie– Choose from Maddy and Cassie’s many looks throughout the series. It’s sure to be something you could even re-wear. 

If nothing above suits your vibe for this Halloween, or you’re a last minute type of person, there is a variety of those costumes as well. Dressing as a hippie, or any decade is always a safe option and a last minute look I’ve reverted to many times. A football player, or any sports player is great if you have an old jersey around. A striped red and white shirt can be used to dress as “Where’s Waldo”, and of course one of the most simple looks in the book, a ghost. 

Hopefully one of these costumes gives you some inspiration for this Halloween season- remember to have fun and be safe while participating in any Halloween festivities-Trick or Treat! 

Edited By Sierra Byrne

Hi I'm Lila! I'm a sophomore studying Public Communication at UVM with a Dance minor! I enjoy reading, fashion, writing, listening to music, and going to the beach with friends!