Five Ways to Become More Eco-Friendly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

With numerous documentaries, clothing lines and news articles advocating for more sustainable practices, my personal desire to become more eco-friendly continues to rise. Many of my vegan friends inspire me to adopt more sustainable eating behaviors, however I can’t seem to quite knock out all animal products from my diet. To try and compensate for that aspect of my life, I have started to pursue other eco-friendly behaviors.

1. One easy way to be more sustainable is REUSABLE BAGS. Whether it be that extra LuluLemon bag lying around or one from your local supermarket, this little step can make a big difference! Hint: I like to keep extras in the car at all times, just so I never forget them!

Baggu

2. COMPOST! Even if it’s just some of your food scraps, this is a very easy way to cut down on waste. If you’re feeling extra motivated, you can even use this to kick start a summer garden–no time like the present. New quarantine hobby? Shortly in Vermont, this will be required by law anyway. :)

Girl At Farm
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

3. Do you run through paper towels like no other? If you do, you’re not alone! I come from a big household, with a little sister that used to spill at every meal. Rather than reaching for a paper towel next time you’re dusting the shelves, cleaning the counters, etc., reach for a REUSABLE TOWEL. If you don’t want to buy new products, you can even cut up old t-shirts and sew two layers together. A little DIY?

Amazon

4. REUSABLE WATER BOTTLES! Most schools have opted out of plastic water bottles, so many students have already hopped on this trend. If you haven’t, I highly recommend doing so. Not only does it help out all those cute sea animals, but also cuts down the size of landfills. Added personal benefit: it encourages you to drink more water! Check out this video to learn more: What really happens to the plastic you throw away – Emma Bryce

Nordstrom

5. THRIFT SHOPPING/HAND-ME-DOWNS. It’s so fun to go to thrift stores and find that missing piece from your closet with friends, or even better–to trade/borrow from friends. Fast fashion is one of the worst industries for the environment. Staying up-to-date with new trends is a hobby for many, but your friends may already have the item you’re looking for. Or it’s sitting on a shelf at a thrift shop. Check out where your clothing is from, and you might be surprised how many resources went into making that plain white t-shirt!

A picture of clothes on racks at a clothing store
Prudence Earl

These are just a few of the many ways that you can become more eco-friendly. You don’t need to cut meat out of your diet completely or only buy clothing from sustainable brands, but even just adjusting your behavior slightly can make a huge difference!

Emma Hoechner

Edited by Cati Januzzi

Hi! My name is Emma Hoechner and I am a Global Studies and Political Science major at the University of Vermont.
Hello! My name is Alex Rosenberger and I was the Campus Correspondent my senior year for the Her Campus Chapter at University of Vermont from January 2020- May 2020. At UVM I studied Public Communication and it's where I found my current passions which includes lifestyle writing, content creation, branding, and graphic design! Thanks for reading!