Five Non-Negotiable Stops On My Road Trip Across the U.S.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Traveling is something that I have dreamed about for as long as I can remember. Anyone who knows me knows my Pinterest board is filled with a variety of destinations from my home town to rain forests to white sand beaches. Fortunately, within the past couple of years, I have been lucky enough to travel all around the world and satisfy that desire.

I have recently become obsessed with discovering some of the most picturesque places in the United States. Some of these destinations have become non-negotiable stops on my future road trip across the U.S.. The most important stops all share a few important characteristics. They are scenic, natural, and, most importantly, not crowded like many natural tourist destinations have become.

Five non-negotiable stops on my USA road trip (in order of increasing importance) are:

5. Grinnell Glacier in Montana

4. Goldbug Hot Springs in Utah

3. White Sands National Park in New Mexico

2. Pfeiffer Beach in California

1. Hoh Rain Forest in Washington

5. Grinnell Glacier

Grinnel Glacier is located in Siyeh Bend, Montana. It consists of a 10.6-mile hike that takes hikers up and around the glaciers. The glaciers have been under ice for over one thousand years and reveal breathtaking views. Grinnell Glacier is the main feature of the hike, but there are plenty of smaller glaciers to see along the way. 

4. Goldbug Hot Springs 

Goldbug Hot Springs near Elk Bend, Idaho is another hike that leads to hot springs and waterfalls. The best time of year to visit the hot springs is in the Spring. Not only is the weather during that time of year ideal for hiking and swimming in the springs, but the blooming flowers along the trail make the journey very picturesque. 

3. White Sands National Park 

White Sands National Park spans 227.8  square miles and is located in Las Cruces, New Mexico. It is the largest dune-field of gypsum sand in the world. The white sand preserves and guards the diverse species of animals and plants that live within the dunes. If you’re in the mood to do something thrilling at the dunes, some people enjoy bringing small sleds and snowboards to ride down the dunes!

2. Pfieffer Beach 

Pfieffer Beach, located in Big Sur, California, is known for its purple sandy beach and its large keystone arch. This location is yet another spot that requires a short hike to reach, but it is definitely worth it. Pfieffer Beach is a great place for surfing, swimming, or even a sunset picnic! 

1. Hoh RainForest 

Hoh Rainforest is located on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. The forest receives nearly 12 feet of rain annually. Hoh Rainforest has many options for what route to take, depending on the length you’re willing to hike. The shortest trail is about 0.8 miles, but there are trails up to 5 miles long. The thousand-year-old ecosystem is filled with moss, ferns, and lots of greenery.

**Edited by Alana Andreuzzi

Hello! My name is Paisley Broadhurst! I am a senior studying Global Business, Finance & Marketing at UVM with a minor in Applied Design! I am also on the Graphics Team for the UVM HC Chapter! I am very passionate about all things health and wellness, and enjoy staying active! A couple of my favorite things are the ocean and reading!