This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Check out these ways to be conscience of your environmental impact without sacrificing any of your creature comforts.

1.Shampoo and Conditioner Bars

These nifty creations allow for you to continue your normal routine less the packaging. The company Lush sells a variety of different scents and styles for all different hair types. Not to mention many of these bars also carry significantly fewer chemicals than liquid shampoo and conditioner. If you do decide to try these out, considering buying a tin or a dish that the bar can sit on in the shower where it will not collect excess water when not in use.

2.Bamboo Toothbrushes

When considering the waste they create, many people never even stop to consider the impact toothbrushes can have. Typically these toothbrushes are made solely from plant material thus making them completely biodegradable unlike plastic! Whatever company you buy yours from you can find information on how to properly care for toothbrush and dispose of it when the time comes.

3. Reusable Cotton Pads

Ditch the single use cotton balls and pads used for makeup remover, toner, and more and instead switch for reusable ones to avoid the landfill. Once they become too dirty for use simply stick the pads in the mesh laundry bag and send them through the wash! Check them out: http://store.swbasicsofbk.com/products/eco-cotton-rounds

4.Homemade Toothpaste

Pairing with the waste created by your toothbrush, the waste from toothpaste tubes is another unnecessary addition to our landfills. Not to mention all the chemicals found in normal toothpaste are completely unnecessary. If you’re feeling up to the challenge try instead to make your own toothpaste! All you need is baking soda, coconut oil and essential oils. Take a peak at Lauren Singers tutorial on her website Trash is for Tossers: http://www.trashisfortossers.com/2015/04/why-i-make-my-own-toothpaste.html

5.Replacing your Razor

Especially during the summer months my razor gets a lot of use and thus the blade constantly needs replacing. Every time I switch it out, the old blade goes in the trash along with the packaging of the new one. This isn’t even considering the financial burden caused by disposable razors. Instead consider using a metal safety razor, as these blades are recyclable. Another more costly yet permanent solution to consider is laser hair removal.