This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

With the changing weather it is hard to know what to wear; some days are hot, some are cold…you get the picture. With a few simple tricks and staples you can easily transform your dull, heavy winter wardrobe into one that is ready for the sunny days of spring.

1.     Layer with simple pieces

Maybe start with a leather or light cargo jacket. The classic leather jacket is a staple piece that is timeless and oh-so versatile. Depending on your own preference there are a variety of colors and styles to choose from. For me, my go-to is my black leather motorcycle jacket as it goes with everything I own, but colored leathers are also great for spring. Leather jackets are great as you can layer them with a sweater, hoodie or jumper underneath if the weather is still cool without wearing your puffy winter coat. 

2.     Add color

Spirng always screams bright colors. Instead of going full out bright right away, gradually incorporate lighter colors into your clothing choices. In the first days of spring try for some blue denim jeans with a lighter shirt (like stripes) and a simple, light jacket. 

3.     Invest in Lighter Accessories

Put away those mittens and heavy, wool scarfs; instead opt for lighter accessories such as light scarfs, colorful bags and put on some sandals, sneakers or flats with jeans. 

4.     Make your Outfit Half and Half

Pair a sweater from your winter wardrobe with a fun floral pastel skirt that’s meant for spring. Also try boots with floral dresses or ankle jeans with a warm cardigan or even a denim shirt under a sweater. 

In addition to these simple tricks that will transform your style through the seasons, some spring 2016 trends on the runways have included graphic stripes, ruffles, suede, vivid colors and graphic bags and backpacks! So keep your eyes out and start packing your winter clothes away!