Dorm Life: How to Find Alone Time 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

By: Lili McKinstry

Living in a dorm is one of the most fun aspects of the college experience but it is not without its struggles. Although hanging out with your roommates and others on your floor is a great way to meet new people, it is natural to want some alone time. 

I lived in a triple my sophomore year and it was difficult to find a moment alone which led to my social battery constantly on low; yet even when I would find time to lay in bed and watch a movie I would have that pestering sense of FOMO. Personal time is essential to maintaining your stability. Here are my tips for finding some alone time and recharging your social battery while living in a dorm. 

1. It may sound simple but going on walks significantly improved my mental health while living in a crowded dorm. The key to a refreshing walk is as easy as bringing some headphones. Depending on my mood I throw on some music, call a friend/family member, or let myself have some quiet. In the fall, the walking trail near Athletic campus is a great spot to leaf peep or catch a soccer game. In the spring, I highly recommend walking along South Prospect Street behind Redstone and admiring the blooming flowers and lovely houses. The winter is tricky because walking in a blizzard isn’t ideal but bundle up with a warm jacket and some gloves then treat yourself to a hot chocolate afterwards. Walking is a fantastic way to find some alone time and destress for 15 minutes or an hour, whatever you want. 
  2. To my surprise, study spaces on campus are not just for studying. You may feel obligated as soon as you step foot in the Howe Library or a dorm common space to start doing homework. Here’s the thing, you can sit in one of the cozy chairs and read a book or watch a show with no one approaching you because they are all busy doing work. My oasis was the Harris- Millis common room, which sounds kind of backwards but when you need an accessible spot to sit by yourself and do absolutely nothing, it’s perfect. If you want even more space, venture off campus to the Public Library or one of the many coffee shops downtown. My personal favorite is Onyx Tonics, the soft lighting mixed with the smell of coffee is a prime spot for getting work done or clearing your head (try their hot chocolate, it’s delicious). 
  3. Lastly, it takes time, but get acclimated to your roommate’s schedule and figure out the times where your shared space can be only yours, even if it’s just for an hour. The key here is to try and use this time for something you enjoy, that means no homework. I like to watch my comfort shows with no headphones on or scroll through social media. Personally, a short workout video followed by a shower where I lounge in my towel for a while after is my idea of quality alone time. (Tip: lock your door to avoid people on your floor barging in and ruining your zen). 

Many people find that being cooped up in a dorm and surrounded by people is exhausting so treat yourself to a little bit of alone time each day and you’ll help yourself avoid that mid- semester mental breakdown. Living in the dorms is a great experience but it’s okay to take a step back and relax.

*Edited by Sierra B.

Hi! I'm a junior at UVM. My major is Business Administration with a concentration in marketing and a minor in English.