Campus Celebrity: Emily Styles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

The most underrated job on campus? Sorority president…(in my biased opinion). Check out what Alpha Chi Omega president Emily Styles has to say about her experience.

1. Tell us about yourself. 

I’m a junior who grew up in New York, but now I live in Kansas with my mom. I’m a Nutrition and Food Sciences major and have loved every minute of it. I work on campus in the athletic department and also downtown at Zabby and Elf’s Stone Soup. 

2. Describe some past experiences that prepared you to transition into the President of your sorority.

Previously, I had been the Panhellenic Delegate for Alpha Chi Omega for 1/2 of my first and sophomore year. I learned how to organize events, mass communicate information, as well as manage my time adequately. I’ve also held leadership positions with my high school in the ski club as well as my varsity and travel volleyball team, but Alpha Chi gave me an opportunity to really step up to the plate.

3. What leaders in your life have inspired you?

Leaders in life that inspire me include my mother, my recruitment advisor, Alex Mallea ,and my big Katharine Brine.

4. What else are you involved in on campus?

I won’t lie, Alpha Chi Omega has been very time consuming so the only other club I’m actively involved in is the Ski and Snowboard Club.

5. If you could have dinner with any famous historical figure, who would it be and why?

If I could have dinner with any famous historical person, I would choose Louis Armstrong because he is my favorite musician and was also known for having a great sense of witty humor. 

6. How do you manage to stay calm during stressful situations?

During stressful situations in order to stay calm, I tell myself that the event has to end at some point so I won’t be stressed forever,. I also make sure I have an action plan that can try to make the situation more organized and less stressful. 

7. What are some challenges of being President?

Some of the challenges of being president for me have been getting an adequate amount of sleep, balancing work and my sorority, as well as making sure I spend time unwinding instead of jumping from event to event. 

9. Do you have any advice for anyone looking to get involved in a leadership role?

To anyone else looking to be involved in a leadership position, I would advise them to put 150% into your every day mandatory tasks because it makes tackling bigger events or tasks so much easier knowing the basics are already done. 

10. What are your goals for the future?

In the future, I plan on graduating from UVM in 2016 with my degree and hopefully finding my niche in the craft brewing industry.  I don’t think I want to open my own brewery, but I’m really interested in the chemistry behind making beer and hope to get my foot in the door by getting an internship this spring with a Burlington brewery.