Style > Beauty

The Beauty Closet: Makeup Ideas to Try This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.
It’s officially spring and I am loving the warmer temps, and yes, even those rainy days! Although you can still rock a vampy lip or dark eyes, why not brighten up your look a little with one of these exciting spring ideas?

1. Try colored eyeliner. Whether you add it to the top or bottom, a pop of color in an unexpected place on your eyes is great trend for spring. While everyone else is adding color with their eyeshadow, you can add some turquoise liquid liner in a cat eye. Or try putting some purple on your waterline instead of the usual black. Brands like Stila make great liquid eyeliner, and check out Milani’s Shadow Eyez for fun colored liners.
2. Add white nail polish. Although wearing all white can make you look like you painted your nails with white out, adding a coat underneath your normal color will make nails really pop. This tip works especially well with lighter colored pastels, and Essie makes a great white that’s under $10.

3. Chubby Lip Pencils are your new best friend. They give the same effect as a lipstick but aren’t nearly as heavy, and they feel just as hydrating as a gloss. Many brands, from drugstores to high-end, have their own types of formulas and finishes, so there’s something out there for everyone. My personal favorites are Clinique Chubby Sticks and MAC Patentpolish Lip Pencils.
4. Highlight highlight highlight! Highlighters are perfect for making your skin look super dewy and glowing. They can be added as a finisher on the high points of your face, or blended with foundation to give you a subtle all-over glow. There are so many liquid and powder forms in cream, beige, pink, peach shades, you name it! Check out MAC Mineralize Skin Finish for a great powder one, and Revlon Photoready Skin Lights Face Illuminator for a cheap drugstore alternative.

As always, I love to hear your input on all things makeup. What new ideas are you looking to try out this spring? Any new colors you’re looking to experiment with? Comment below and let me know!